Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rderden Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 02:56 PM
    2 month old male blue heeler
    My 17 year old son just bought a 2 month old male blue heeler from our local pet store. He is a beautiful puppy, but we need help getting his attention. We can call him, whistle, clap, etc. and he just doesn't really respond as other puppies we have had in the past did. At first I was thinking he might be deaf, now I'm just thinking he's being stubborn. And I guess this breed is very active and so if any of you have suggestions as to training techniques, that would be wonderful. We are not home during the day so he is crated until my son get home from school. He is very good about taking him everywhere he can with him, but we would like some housebreaking ideas and some behavioral training ideas. Thank you!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 03:05 PM
    All I can say is that if the puppy spends his entire day, in a crate, with no one around, you will never get him properly house trained.

As for being stubborn, if I was locked up in a crate all day, I'd have an attitude too.

Sorry if I seem rude, I just don't agree with keeping puppy's or dogs in cages.
    Lavina Posts: 31, Reputation: 9

May 12, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Do you have any other dogs? Usually some dogs are not playful if there are no other dogs around, it sort of makes them comfortable. We had a blue heeler puppy that took awhile to get use to us, and he is very active and seldom listens to us sometimes. It just depends on their personality. House training takes some time though. You might have to clean up a few messes before you get it right. They have dog training pads at some of the pet stores you can try. For our basset hound, we know if he needs to go, he gets all whiney and barks. So that might be some helpful information. :)
    rderden Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
    We do have other dogs. I have a 2 year old chorkie (yorkie-chihuaha) named Scooter and my 19 year old has a 2 month old siberian husky, which is much more calm than the heeler. I have crate trained every dog we have ever had in the house and they have done well. The only problem we are having with our heeler is getting him use to the crate. Even though we bought him at a pet shop, he was not crated. Him and his sisters were in a round pen inside. Mayby I should try a small playpen. I do have puppy pads in the back of both of the puppies' crates. The last couple of nights my son has just let him sleep outside of the crate and he's done pretty good. Last night he was very active when we had him outside and really played a lot. My chorkie isn't taking to him too well, I guess because he's been by himself for 2 years. I can't get the heeler to calm down long enough to try and get them socialized, Scooter just runs and hides from him or jumps in my lap. I've come to the conclusion last night that he is not deaf or hard of hearing, he just hears what he wants! Doesn't that figure, he's male! HA! Just kidding. I think he's really going to a lot of fun to have. Thanks for your responses.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

May 14, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Start calling the puppy to you many times a day, for no particular reason, and give him a small treat when he responds. Hopefully this will put you higher up on his "things that are interesting" list, and he won't associate it with an end to playtime.
    This is a breed that needs a job, and if you don't give him one, he will find one on his own--usually something that involves systematic destruction. (I foresee the Siberian becoming a partner in crime)
    Start training simple things like sit and down, especially when he is tired out and not so wild. Use treats or toys liberally to reward him; you can always fade these out later.
    If you can find an obedience or agility class nearby, enroll him as soon as he is old enough; he needs constructive use of his mind and energy.
    Keep us posted, and good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

16 week Blue Heeler - Training [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! We had our Female Blue Heeler for 3 weeks now and she hates her crate, would not stop barking, and the past two days now she has pooped in it in the middle of the night. We were doing really well with her being housebroken and going outside and the past two days she went back to...

Blue heeler biting/jumping [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 5 month old blue heeler/golden retriever female, spayed 1 week ago. She spends all her time outside--occasionally allowed inside. She had a very hard time biting and chewing several weeks ago, but by using vinegar spray, we've been fairly successful controlling that. However, she...

Having a hard time training a Blue Heeler [ 8 Answers ]

I bought a blue heeler about 3 months ago and was having very good luck training her. But now its like she started to back step in her training. She's going back to the same ways as when I bought her. Now I'm having a hard time training her. I'ts like she doesn't want to listen to me. What...

Blue Heeler barking on leash at other dogs [ 1 Answers ]

I've been unsuccessful in training my blue heeler not to bark at other dogs when on the leash. This is a problem in the city because owners think she might fight or bite and other dogs often get defensive. Otherwise she is very well behaved and doesn't do this when off the leash & playing with...

Blue heeler mix [ 1 Answers ]

I have mixed breed male and female puppies (1 each) and think that their temperament is primarily blue heeler. Any training tricks (I've seen the NO negative training)?

View more questions Search