Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annette72120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2006, 04:15 AM
    Submissive urination
    Our three year old dachsund (which we've had for about a year now) has a problem with submissive urination. We let her outside to pee, she readily askd to go outside when she needs to go, and yet whenever we pick her up, stoop to pet her, or scold her she dribbles. We don't want to make her an outside dog but our carpet is already ruined to the point we will have to replace it. I have read where puppies have this problem but they grow out of it. We acquired her from a previous owner who we have no idea how they treated her. She seemed like a nice lady and just needed to find a good home for her dog so we took her. Now we are wondering if maybe this is why she got rid of the dog. Is there medication we can give our dog to stop this or a training progam? Is she too old to have the habit changed? Is it a medical problem that can be fixed? Please help she is a sweet dog and we love her and want to keep her. Thank you
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Hi, Annette,
    First, have you had her checked by your Vet? Could be a urinary tract infection.
    If that's not the case, then I suspect she is very nervous. Ask the Vet if he/she thinks any type of medication might be in order.
    You can help her with possibly getting over being nervous by not scolding her. Another way is to play with her, maybe a tug of war with something, and let her win, which might help to build up her confidence. There is no telling what kind of treatment she received from the previous owner. It might take awhile.
    I do wish you and she the best of luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 12:18 PM
    All the above answer sounds much like my previous answers to this reoccuring question. I guess I should take it as a compliment. Happy to see anybody willing to learn. Of course, I leave medicating the dog as a last resort.

There are some other important things he didn't bother to copy. Take her out before stressful events, such as just before guests are due. Do not tower over her, and do not look her in the eye. Both are sign of dominance. On the other hand, obedience train her. Use more positive methods, with as little correction as posible. As she succeeds, and you are generous with praise, it will build her confidence and trust in her. You might do better working at home, than a class that she may find stressful. A good obedience book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

I often include this when I suggest tug of war. Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Overly Submissive Doxie Pup [ 2 Answers ]

My 7 month old neutered Doxie pup completely melts into the ground with limpness (face down) when I pick him up and it is a heartbreaking sight. Since he is from rescue, I don't scold or yell for any reason. Sometimes he urinates, sometimes not. I have had him 3 weeks now and his sister does NOT...

Urination [ 2 Answers ]

I am an old man and suffer from frequent nocturnal urination,can anybody suggest a solution ? ;D

View more questions Search