Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ridecowgirl2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Does my dog have mange?
    I have a rotti that is about two years old, just today I noticed that he has a swollen nose and it is bleeding and he keeps scratching it which is making t worse. My boyfriend thinks it may be ant bites because he is an outside dog and sometimes spills his food all over which would attract ants. Is there a sure way for me to tell which it could be?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Speaking from a laymans point of view I would agree with your b.f that it is not mange. I was raised in the country and saw countless strays with mange and can't ever recall seeing it only on their nose.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Feb 18, 2008, 07:28 PM
    If the nose is still swelling or hasn't gone down by tomorrow, call the vet (call ER vet tonight if any difficulty breathing). A bite or sting sounds likely, since it came up so fast.
    rockerchick26 Posts: 93, Reputation: 22

Feb 18, 2008, 07:34 PM
    My parents have a dog who suffers from allergies. Certain times of the year he scratches enough to lose patches of hair and bleed. I believe that they give him a small dose of benadryl and it relieves the symptoms. I wouldn't recommend trying that unless your vet reccomends it, but its something to keep in mind...
    FallenFromGrace Posts: 101, Reputation: 15

Feb 19, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Probably is an insect bite of some sort. I would keep and eye on it and if his condition worsens or does not improve within 3 days, I would call the vet. He may be licking it more now that it is bothering him which will cause it to become raw. Antibacterial ointment such as panalog can help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neglected dog. My neighbor leaves her dog locked in a cage all day while she is at [ 5 Answers ]

Work, then comes home lets the dog out and locks the dog right back up again in her cage and she proceeds to go out until all hours of the night. I hear the dog moving around in the cage. I don't understand why she even has a dog, she doesn't spend any time with it. Besides dogs not being...

Mange and Atroban [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 adult dogs that weigh about 90lbs each. One is black, Inky, and the other one is white, Rowdy. Both of them have patches of hair missing and Rowdy have a very red and irritated belly. Inky has black skin but it looks like it is irritated. Not to the question. Last year I had a couple...

Treatment of Mange with Ivomec [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the recommended dosage is for the treatment of mange mites on dogs? How Much ? How Often? Can I give it orally instead of injecting it? Thank you:confused:

Mange [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old pitbull. She has mange. I have treated her for it before and now she has it again, I am not able to afford to keep her to pay for all the medicine that she needs. I am undecided what to do as far as if I should keep her. I was thinking of taking her to the pound and they can...

Mange [ 8 Answers ]

I have two 9 week old puppies that were found in the woods on christmas eve. I took them to the vet and had them checked out.They have some raw crusty places on their stomachs and the backs of their legs.The vet checked them for The mange and said she could not find any mites but gave me some...

View more questions Search