Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gretchen1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Aspirin for a 6 yr old doxie
    Recently I took my Dachshund to the vet for his shots. The day before I took him in he just started moving slowly but still had an appetite and his poop was fine. The vet told me he has a knee problem and to give him ½ a baby aspirin when he is in pain. The first day the ½ baby aspirin worked. It’s been a week and he seems worse than before. Still eating and pooping fine. The last three days I have given him ½ baby aspirin and I believe it works somewhat but not like the first day.
    The other thing the vet said is that he has a very slight heart murmur. So slight that it was hard to find.
    Does any one have any idea how often I can give him the ½ baby aspirin?
    Thanks for your help.
    Worried doxie owner:confused:
    ayashe Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Feb 17, 2008, 11:23 AM
    I always thought aspirin was a no no for dogs? I must be wrong, because I hear many dog owners say their vet tells them to give it to their furry friends. Why didn't they prescribe a pain pill for dogs instead? Did they take x-rays to determine there was a knee problem?

Feb 17, 2008, 11:46 AM
    No x-rays just a routine exam. He’s had a disk problem in the past. They gave him something that helped but gave him diarrhea so they are cautions on what they give him. My husband thinks I should be giving him more aspirin because of his reaction to the first ½ one. I know ibuprofen is very very bad for a dog (I even can’t take it). My husband also thinks it just has to run its course but I don’t like seeing him this way. I’m calling the vet tomorrow to ask her advice. It’s not like the disk problem because he wouldn’t poop then and his appetite wasn’t normal. I just wish he could tell me what was wrong.
    Thanks for the quick response. Is that a doxie in your arms?
    ayashe Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Feb 17, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Yes she's a doxie mix... and I adore her! She has thrown out her shoulder a few times, we don't know why. Even after x-rays... no known cause. Her vet did give us pain pills to give her, for when this happens. It is heck.. not knowing what is exactly wrong with our babies... I am having massive stomach/bowel problems with my girl... and it's been a nightmare. I wish you both the best of luck!

Feb 17, 2008, 01:31 PM
    I've always had doxies. Even as a child. It started with my grandparents. Even with their issues, they are the best for me.
    Max's knee problem sounds similar to your girls shoulder problem. The Vet is real careful with the meds they give him because one did give him diarrhea and they were worried that the meds may help the back but hurt some internal organs.
    I'll let you know what the Vet tells me tomorrow. I just have to get through today. Sometimes I think it's worse on us when they're not well.

Feb 18, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Yesterday Max didn't go outside or eat. Today, he's about 75% back to normal. He ate and pooped. The vet said that ½ a baby asprin is okay for a short time, no longer than a month. I made an appointment for next Sunday in case he hasn't gotten any better. Just talking to the vet made me fell better. Don't know about Max. He doesn't let me know what he thinks until we're at the vet.

Feb 18, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Yesterday Max didn't go outside or eat. Today, he's about 75% back to normal. He ate and pooped. The vet said that ½ a baby asprin is okay for a short time, no longer than a month. I made an appointment for next Sunday in case he hasn't gotten any better. Just talking to the vet made me fell better. Don't know about Max. He doesn't let me know what he thinks until we're at the vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can aspirin prevent unexplained recurrent miscarriage? [ 4 Answers ]

Help - I don't know what to do. I have had 1 full-term pregnancy and 3 subsequent miscarriages after this all this year. I have been seen at a clinic and all blood tests - clotting, thyroid and auto-antibodies are all normal. They have said go off and try and we are now. However they also...

Can I give my German Shepard an aspirin? [ 1 Answers ]

My German Sheppard has been sick for over a week, he was having diarrhea on and off, when I was going to take him to the Vet, my neighbor said that her 2 dogs and other dogs in our neighborhood were sick too. Today his head is warm and his nose is dry, any one knows if I can give my dog an...

Baby aspirin and miscarriage [ 1 Answers ]

Has anybody got any experience of using this to prevent miscarriage. I will talk to my doc but am interested what people think. There are conflicting things on the net.

Fish oil and aspirin [ 2 Answers ]

Is taking fish oil supplements a day beneficial like aspirin? I am wary because aspirin is hard on the stomach.

View more questions Search