Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RachelAnn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2006, 01:32 PM
    Runt not Eating?
    My cat just had kittens (January 13th); five beauties. Most of the kittens are doing well, but one kitty (Cloud) is just smaller than the rest. S/he doesn't seem to eat as much, is much more smaller than the rest in terms of weight, and is much more active (I think Cloud will also be the first to open his/her eyes.) I don't know if s/he can't find the nipple or just prefers to be on mommy's back, but many a time she moves herself onto the top of her mom rather than down by the belly where the food is. Cloud weighs about 150,155 grams compared to the others which are about 200. (This would be day 5)

I do notice that Chammomile (the mom) nurses him/her alone at times. I don't know if this is deliberate on my cat's part or if that is the only chance she gets to eat.

Should I start supplementing? What are the risks signs I should look for to tell if s/he isn't getting enough.

FWIW Cloud is a tabby like mom, and mom is a small cat. The other's are calicos or tortiseshells.

Thanks
    Rachel Ann
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Jan 18, 2006, 11:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelAnn
    My cat just had kittens (January 13th); five beauties. Most of the kittens are doing well, but one kitty (Cloud) is just smaller than the rest. S/he doesn't seem to eat as much, is much more smaller than the rest in terms of weight, and is much more active (I think Cloud will also be the first to open his/her eyes.) I don't know if s/he can't find the nipple or just prefers to be on mommy's back, but many a time she moves herself onto the top of her mom rather than down by the belly where the food is. Cloud weighs about 150,155 grams compared to the others which are about 200. (This would be day 5)

I do notice that Chammomile (the mom) nurses him/her alone at times. I don't know if this is deliberate on my cat's part or if that is the only chance she gets to eat.

Should I start supplementing? What are the risks signs I should look for to tell if s/he isn't getting enough.

FWIW Cloud is a tabby like mom, and mom is a small cat. The other's are calicos or tortiseshells.

Thanks
    Rachel Ann

Hello Rachel,

If Cloud's movements seem sluggish / slow and he/she stays apart from the other kittens it could mean that not enough nurishment is being taken.

Pring, my male cat [I have 4 = 3 females and 1 male] was the runt of the litter who did not get enough nourishment. Following the instructions of my vet, I fed him every 2 hours with a prescribed formula for several weeks until he became strong enough to compete with his siblings. He has since grown into a handsome adult male.

Irulan
    RachelAnn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 04:20 AM
    Cloud is definitely not sluggish. S/he is much more active than most of the cats and does snuggle among them (and fight with them). Cloud is also noisier than the others. I'll watch for slowing down of movements and I'll keep an eye on the weight.

I hope it is just that this kitten is smaller and not weaker.

I tried to feed Cloud but s/he wouldn't take. I'll try again later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Runt puppy very small [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 week old litter of labrador puppies. Most of them weigh about five pounds. Our smallest only weighs 2 1/2 pounds. He only nurses for a few minutes and then falls asleep. He will not take a bottle or drink from a bowl. The other pups are eating moistened food now. The vet is keeping a...

Eating [ 8 Answers ]

OK I have 2 problems, First my mom used to put people food in our two four year old Bichons when they wouldn't eat. She also hand fed them and gave them people food at and away from the dinner table a lot. Recently I have been training them to stop begging and there is no more table food. ...

Eating [ 16 Answers ]

Hi today I went to school and had like some crisps from one of my mates because I was hungry - that was at break - then at lunch I wasn't hungry at all. I haven't eaten since Tuesday night because yesterday I was just not hungry and then at dinner/tea etc time I had pizza but it made me feel sick...

Does it matter if my kitten is the runt? [ 1 Answers ]

I've bought a kitten, who seems a little smaller than his brothers - does this matter?

Runt, sick (wild) kitten question [ 1 Answers ]

I have brought home a wild kitten about 5 weeks of age that has an eye infection and an abscess. The kitten is on antibotics starting today, but was only removed from the mother as of last night (it is eating gruel well at 3 hour intervals) but has not pooped. I have foster kittens, mainly for...

View more questions Search