Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheBridget Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Problems with feeding my miniature dachshund
    I have a mini dachshund, about 7 months now. The only way he will eat anything is if my mom or I feed him... with a spoon. We started this when he was a small pup because he will not even touch his food and he seemed to detest food that is hard to chew. So we changed his diet to raw chicken crushed with some of his dry food that has to be blended to a powder. Insane, I know. But now... (and I know he's used to it) he won't eat unless we feed him. I know he is still a pup, but I want to correct him before he gets any older. But I don't him to starve!! If we don't feed him, his food will go untouched all day long.

Also, how many times a day should I feed him?

And... he has two rows of teeth, which is super weird. I heard that small dogs tend to have them. Should I wait till they fall off or get them removed?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 04:46 PM
    What does your vet say? I haven't seen your dog, but it sounds like it is over fed and over weight. The first thing is to check it using http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx

Although overweight is more dangerous to the large breeds, where most of my training and experience is, it also is very hard on other joint problem prone breeds including Dachshunds with all their back problems. Obesity shortens the lives of all breeds. I am pleased you are concerned about its eating habits. Everything you should need to get it on a healthy diet of kibble is in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 It can't hurt to select one of the kibbles with smaller pieces meant for smaller dogs.

At 7 months, one meal a day is fine.

If you find your dog isn't overweight, and your vet agrees, then you may need to depend on the vet to help with the problem.

I will leave the teeth to the vet that has seen them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Miniature Dachsund Puppy Feeding [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of food should be given to a 5 week old mini doxie? I want to do whatever I can to prevent my little puppy from having long term back problems and need help on feeding

Potty problems with my Miniature Schnauzer [ 19 Answers ]

I am hoping someone might be able to help solve some problems I am having with our new puppy. Finzi is 14 weeks old, and we just got him a week ago. He is a product of a puppy mill, and for whatever reason, the pet stores passed on him and we got him from a rescue society. Finzi is...

How much to feed miniature dachshund puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I have a miniature dachshund puppy who is about 10-1/2 weeks old named Muddy (chocolate& isabella dapple). We got her a couple of weeks ago, and have been feeding her 2x a day, about 1/4 c each time. My question is this - I recently read you should feed puppies more frequently, say three times...

Problems breast-feeding [ 3 Answers ]

My question is how do I know if I have a clogged milk duct... I've been breast-feeding a little over 8 months and yesterday morning my left breast began to get really sore and I've feed more off it thinking it was too full but its still reallly sore... its only on my left breast on the botton a...

6 month old miniature dachshund won't eat her own food [ 1 Answers ]

We have a six month old miniature dachshund and a 2 year old lab mix and the dachshund only wants to eat the lab's food and not her own and when we're finally able to keep her away from his food she refuses to eat her own. Is there some way to get her to eat her food and not want his? It's getting...

View more questions Search