Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Dec 30, 2005, 12:11 PM
    Dogs Schedule
    Our black lab has to go pee at 3am every morning... we take him out before we go to bed around 11pm. We cannot continue this routine as we are not getting enough sleep. He is crated during the day while we are at work and we don't like the idea of using the crate at night. He stays in our bedroom with the door shut. Any ideas of what can be done... I thoguth being 8 months old he should be able to hold off till the morning. I tried last night to ignore him and tell him to go back to sleep but he then jumped on our bed. I don't think he wants attention because I take him out he goes right away and then back to the room he goes back to sleep. Any help is appreciated. TIA
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2005, 01:00 PM
    Most of my 14 Labs have been making it over night by 2 months. Of course, they are crated at night. You might try cutting off the water supply in early evening. We have done that with some of them. Make sure he has some activity on his last trip out at bed time to stimulate elimination. You may have to go out and throw a stick for a while.

He is what, 8 months? You could also go to a single meal in the morning. Watch problems with bowel movements if he is in the crate all day.
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Dec 30, 2005, 04:04 PM
    He isn't having any problems with his bowel movements. We feed him 1.5 cups in the morning and then 2 cups in the evening. His bowel movements are pretty much right on schedule... but he needs to pee a lot... I try to limit his water after his dinner... I hope this helps...
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2005, 04:22 PM
    Maybe I needed to give more details. Dogs need water with a meal of dry dog food. If you move feeding to the morning so you can withhold water in the evening, that could then create a bowel movement problem in the day time. Try cutting the water off about 7 PM and more exercise at bed time first. That may be enough.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2005, 07:55 AM
    Pees at 3 am.
    Hi, aj,
    Personally, I don't like the idea of crating a dog at night, at least one that is as old as yours. But, I don't have 14 dogs, either! Since you work during the day and he is in a crate, I don't like the idea of a crate at night either.
    The idea of stopping giving him water early in the evening sounds good to me, too.
    I like our dog having the run of the house all the time. Of course, she is 10 yrs old now, and hasn't gone in the house for many years.
    I do wish you the best of luck, and hang in there.
    Happy New Year!
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2005, 11:43 AM
    I have nothing but contempt for people whose limited experience with dogs has not included one where a crate is an essential tool and discourage their use. They don't understand dogs, and the natural advantages of the crate. I wonder how many dogs end up outside chained to a dog house or dumped somewhere because nobody educated their owners to solving chewing and fouling problems with a crate.

Exercise stimulates elimination. A crated dog can go much longer without eliminating than one that uses its freedom to move around. Any time you aren't around, the dog could decide to snack on an electrical cord, the sofa, of something else that could kill the dog by choking or something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 ratings for pipe? [ 15 Answers ]

Ok, pvc is temperature restricted to 140 F so no hot water, cpvc can be used in the house. What is schedule 40 and schedule 80?

Flight schedule [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what time malaysian airlines coming from kualalumpr to delhi is expected to arrive today, at IGI Airport, Delhi

HELP, puppy schedule crisis [ 2 Answers ]

I fed him at 10:00am and then later at 6pm. And last night I was right on schedule with my boston terrier. He finally pooped. He pooped at 7:40pm last night and I thought that was it. I was so happy!! But I was wrong! I woke up and found poop all over his cage. I was going to walk him at 9am....

Getting dog on our schedule [ 1 Answers ]

He is a 7 month old black lab male. He has to go pee at least twice a night at approx 3am and again at 6am. We also let him out beofre bed at approx 10-11pm. The last couple of nights he has had to go pooP right at 6am. The other night he was really wanting out of the bedroom, he took all his toys...

Workout Schedule [ 0 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, I have been out of the loop for a long time and was wondering if anyone has an idea about workout schedules. I am wanting to work out 3 days a week or so to loose some weight. I also intend to do cardio before working out. Does anyone recommend some type of schedule like...

View more questions Search