Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KoreanJB Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 04:54 PM
    About: Puppies
    Does anyone know the exact stages of puppies up to 6 months?
    I need to know because I'm not sure if my pup is developing properly
    Help needed ASAP
    Thank you
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Chinaroad Lowchens of Australia ~ The Critical Periods of Puppy Development! not having ever raised puppies I don't know how accurate this site is. Maybe someone with puppy experience can better tell you. Check back in.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 05:41 PM
    If you go to my sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 you will come to my suggestion of the Monks of New Skete book. I suggest you find a copy and read it. Plenty more good books later in the sticky. I will cover it briefly. Neonatal period, 1-13 days. Inert little lumps that do little else but eat, sleep, and eliminate. Even that requires assistance from the mother. Transitional period. Eyes and ear open and they start reacting to more of the world including each other. Socialization Period. This is the most important part of a dog's life. Left in a kennel until 12 weeks, some dogs never completely adjust to anything else. Many breeders are totally clueless about how important this period is. The Monks actually bring women into the monastery in this period for the puppies benefit. We are allowed to take 7 week old puppies from the dog guide school in places including restaurants as soon as we get them. Sometimes we stop at a nice sit down restaurant on our way home with a puppy. Fear avoidance period. Sometimes around 4 months, puppies will start reacting poorly to that which they accepted fine 2 months before. Do not overwhelm them at that time. Let them work out of it.

My Xanthe turns 4 months 2 Jan 08, 5 Jan 08 we will be taking her to a large conference with hundreds of people. We will see how she does. She did fine outside Wal-Mart last Saturday when I was ringing bells for the Salvation Army.

We could be of more help if you posted back with details.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 07:51 PM
    ''THANK YOU! THAT WAS ACCURATE TY VERY MUCH!'' Unfortunately like many websites, it isn't that accurate. It grossly underplays the importance of the 6-12 weeks in the development of puppies.

I have not actually read the noted behavioralists Fuller and Scott or Pfaffenburger, but have read quotes from their work in dozens books including the Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of new Skete. ''... pups raised without human contact would show fearful reactions to humans at five weeks of age but could readjust over 2 weeks time if handled often, Puppies first exposed to human contact at twelve weeks of age, however immediately reacted very fearfully and fled from the experimenters. They acted essentially like wild animals and were socially irretrievable. They had missed the vital contact during the critical period.'' p 43, First Edition.

I would expect such a popular book would be available in most English speaking countries. Also you may be able to find some of the books listed later in the sticky.

I don't like that Lowchens site. I have found other, more substantial differences between it and the vast body of careful, well proven studies dog owners should go by. I feel it is wrong for people to post links things they lack the background to evaluate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppies [ 6 Answers ]

my sister and I have been wanting a little maltese or a yorkie for about 2 months, and my mom doesn't care if we get one, but we r trying to convince him into getting a dog. does anyone know any good tips on how to convince parents into getting a dog?? also, does anyone know where to find...

Frontline and puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My female jack russel just had 7 puppies last night,can the frontline flea control that we treat her with harm the pupies in any way?

Fleas on Puppies [ 5 Answers ]

What kind of treatment can you give 4wk old puppies?

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

Beagle Puppies [ 2 Answers ]

We have Beagle puppies (4 days old) We noticed that the Mom has fleas, and now we are seeing them on the puppies. What can we do? Is it safe to treat a nursing dog and what should we do about the puppies? Any advice would be great!

View more questions Search