Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsMick Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 21, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Daschund took a bite
    We have a 3 year old mini daschund. He was spade over a year ago now. He barks at "intruders" in our home. Until today he has never bitten anyone. What's that saying, "NEVER say Never...ugh" What do I need to do to correct him and can I trust him with incoming guests. Heck for that matter can he be trusted to take a leak outside? Again I say, "UGH!"
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Dec 21, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Why did he bite? Did he bite you or a stranger or someone he knows? I ask because I had a friend from high school come over not long ago. My doggie has never seen him before. The guy is actually my 2nd cousin.

I haven't seen him in forever and when he came in, I ran to give him a big hug. He picked me up and swung me around when I hugged him, and my doggie freaked out! He thought the guy was trying to hurt me or something because I had yelled, but it was just because I was excited. My dog nipped at him, didn't break skin or anything, but it was a bite still. Once the dog saw that it was someone I liked and I wasn't in danger, he just wanted the guy to pet him and wagged his tail.

So, anyway, could it have been something like that with your dog? I would take him out on a leash until you know what is going on. Maybe keeping him away from guests would be good for now, esp. if small children will be there. Maybe obedience school might help. It did for my grandma's dog. Good luck!
    MrsMick Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 21, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Visitor was a female. She came in to help me finish a project at the dining room table. Dog barked the whole time. My friend "made herself at home" She was in our home maybe 10 minutes ~~ didn't even sit down. She went to leave. I walked with her and he ran ahead. She opened the door to leave he jumped up and nipped her through her clothing. (She may have tried to speak to him and say goodbye as she is a dog person herself ~~ and the main reason I wasn't concerned with his incessant barking. That and the fact he's never bitten anyone before! )Thankfully he has had all his shots. Its sounding like obedience school is in the cards for 2008.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Dec 21, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Yep, that's probably a good idea. Maybe he just got excited too. I used to have a poodle who would nip whenever someone was coming or going. She just would see the door open and think "Are you going to let me out" and get all worked up. Obedience school fixed her problem. Good luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Dogs mature at 3 years old. As they mature, they take on more and more responsibility for protecting the family and controlling others. It is time you let him know you are in charge. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog Bite Law [ 4 Answers ]

I have a dog with a fenced in yard and a lock on the gate. Children from the block are constantly hopping the fence for one reason or another or simply torment him. If anybody gets hurt with him locked in my yard, what is my liability? Should a "Beware Of Dog" sign be posted?

Conceal a bite [ 1 Answers ]

How can I conceal a Misquito bite? I mean, I am allergic to misquito bites and they swell up a lot. I got one next to my eye. Is there any better way I can conceal it other than just foundation?:confused:

I think my bite is off [ 1 Answers ]

I just resently had an upper and lower partial plate and I think my bite could be off I;m having headaches and not feeling real well How would I know if my bite is off Thanks Anne

Spider Bite? [ 4 Answers ]

I have what I think may be a spider bite on the inside of my leg. Yesterday evening I noticed that my upper leg hurt so I lifted my pant leg. I have what looks like a large zit with a black dot in the middle. It's very painful and feels hard like a peanut M & M. It's itchy at times. The main part...

Dog bite [ 1 Answers ]

Our 3 yr old germanshep/cattledog cross just had an argument with a "buddy" during one of our daily outings in the offleash park. It wasn't a vicious fight... just a disagreement.. which lasted about 5 seconds... however our dog ended up with a single tooth wound on his upper foreleg... in the...

View more questions Search