Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arayna20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Abandonment of child with disability
    I have a five year old autistic son. His father has not seen or made contact with him in over two years nor has he paid child support. We separated when my son was a year old and it ended badly. Since then he has moved frequently to different states(without telling me) and has made no effort to finacially or emotionally support our child. I do not want this man in my sons life and I'm fine with not receiving child support because that means he won't be around. However I am afraid that if something would happen to me he would be able to come take my child. My son has autism and adhd and he is not educated about either. He also lives in a different state and it would be devastating for my son to be moved away from his family with a someone he does not know. I want to file for abandonment if that is legally possible but I'm not sure what the laws are or how to go about it. Please help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2007, 08:04 PM
    What you want to file for is termination of parental rights. Abandonment would be the reason. However, the odds of you getting it are not that good. Generally, termination is only granted where there is someone waiting to adopt or the father represents a danger to the child.

What I would be more inclined to recommend is that you make a will providing for guardianship of your child.
    arayna20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Can I legally do that even though his biological father is alive? Wouldn't he be able to fight that in court if something were to happen to me? I do have someone in my life and marriage has been discussed but this is my child and I'm not quite sure if I'm ready for that yet(him adopting)
    OlivesNCream Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2007, 09:07 PM
    You could also file for sole custody, though custody battles are very ugly sometimes.

Nevertheless, if this hasn't been done already, you'd have a pretty good chance of winning sole custody of your son, considering that his father has already been absent from his life for this long and seemingly has no interest in becoming involved. If you were to win full custody of your son then I do believe it should be up to you [in a Will] as to who to assign guardianship to in the case that something should happen to you and you are no longer there or able to care for your child.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 09:15 PM
    I have a son with special needs and could not file for guardianship until close to his 18th birthday. The guardianship has to be established before the child turns 18 or else the child becomes a ward of the state. But I was told this could not be done until at least six months before his 18th birthday. My attorney also told me to, when making out my will, to include a "Special Needs Trust" for my son, with provisions for care and monies set aside for his care.

Your best avenue is to contact an attorney who works with guardianship and special needs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Abandonment, disability, legalities, oh my! [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Pennsylvania. My daughter is 10. Her father hasn't seen her in over 5 years. He hasn't paid much child support at all. He wants me to drop all arrears and he'll sign away his rights so my husband can adopt her. This is what we all want. However, I refuse to spend money on an attorney...

Child Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a qustion about child abandonment. My son's biological father hasn't seen his son since 9mons of age, my son is now 3yrs old. He does pay child support, not enough in my opinion. I haven't seen him (son's father) since our last court date which was Feb. 05'. I have met a wonderful man...

View more questions Search