Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boizus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Canine pancreatis
    Hi - I'm a new member - I have a mixed dog who in the last year has had about sof pancreatis. He has been to 2 different vets, many prescriptions, special prescribed food, and his gut is still messed up. He also has seizures so we have to watch what medications he can have. His stomach is a mess. He ALSO seems to have over active anal glands, which makes me wonder... is this the root of his stomach problem. Cleaning up after himself - could that have made an infection, ulcer, what have you..? He is 9, the best boy in the world but it seems as though we can't figure out his problem. Yes, I know he has the bouts of pancreatis, but what is causing all this?? HELP

Liz
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Dec 6, 2007, 12:39 PM
    When was the last time you had blood work done on your dog? Or a ultrasound to see if there is anything abnormal.As far as the anal glands go I have this problem with my Min.Pin.they are horrid and have to have them expressed often and from the inside.You can have them removed if all else fails.Ask your Vet. If that is an option,anal sac disease can cause a lot of problems.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 12:45 PM
    You are watching to see to it he gets nothing but his food? No generous other family members or even a neighbor slipping him a treat? If not, maybe try a different vet.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 07:16 PM
    boizus, have you done research on pancreatitis? If not, here are a few links for you to read. Merck Veterinary Manual

Is it pancreatitis? - Diagnosing this condition in dogs and cats is challenging. Here is a rundown of the tests at your disposal if you suspect pancreatitis, including a promising new serum assay. - Veterinary Medicine

Pancreatitis (Inflammation) in Dogs

Is your dog suffering from diarrhea often? If so, that could very well be the reason for the anal gland issue. The sacs are filling up with fluid and he isn't creating hard enough stools that will express the glands fully.

Oh that poor dog. I really feel for both of you. It does sound as if your dog is suffering from chronic pancreatitis. If this is what he has, the prognosis is not good I am afraid. Labman brings up a very good point. Is it possible someone is feeding him treats when you are not around? If it is at all possible that this is occurring, your dogs health is being compromised and the treats need to be stopped. I know you have been to two vets and feel as if you have been through the mill with this, but I think you should heed the advice given earlier, find a third vet, or go back to the vet you felt was helping you the most. He needs to be monitored often, and closely, and you need more constructive advice and input from the person managing your dog's health.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Canine hotspots [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to see if anyone out there knows any reliable cures for hotspots on dogs. My Golden-Doodle has had one behind her ear last year and by the time I took her to see the vet (2 days later) it had spread to be a large area. The vet had to anesthetize her and shave the area. He treated her...

Canine symptoms [ 3 Answers ]

Our 7 month old boxer has stopped eating, and is very lethargic? This started yesterday?

Canine ear hematoma [ 1 Answers ]

My 11 year old chocolate Labrador developed an ear hematoma in her left ear. She previously had the same problem in her right ear and at that time we had it drained and stitched closed in what I can best describe as a quilted pattern with many stitches. This time we had it drained and immobilized...

Canine Arthritis [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 13 yr old miniature beagle that, lately , has been suffering from arthritis. I was wondering if anyone knows any treatments that I can provide for her myself. I am aware of some of the medicinal treatments.

Canine Cavities [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old Golden Retriever puppy.. and when he was teething during the last two months... some of his teeth we not loose enough to fall out on their own very easily... but eventually they fell out. One tooth in particular ( one of the upper canines ) did not fall out until it was almost...

View more questions Search