Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Dec 11, 2005, 12:54 PM
    Bull Sticks OK for young Lab
    Hello,

I am trying to figure out what I can give my 8 month old lab as a treat once in a while. I have read that beef bones do harm to there teeth. Are bull sticks OK? Also, we just finished beginner obedience classes where he has learned the basics (sit/stay/come/lie down/off/look/walking on leash), should we be continuing advanced obedience classes and are they worth it. We would also like to try agility training once he is a year old. TIA
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2005, 01:45 PM
    I am not real familiar with the bull sticks. Strikes me as a way for the slaughter houses to get good money out of something otherwise of low value. I am afraid they would be much like rawhide, pigs ears, and other natural treats, dangerous. Even if the dog doesn't tear off a piece, it will quickly gnaw it down to where it is big enough to start down the throat or digestive system, but stick, swell, and choke or obstruct the bowel.

The dog guide school I raise puppies for has experience with thousands of young Labs. They flatly forbid much except Kongs and Nylabones. Many Labs are aggressive chewers and occasionally get into trouble with any of the consumable treats. Some can't even be trusted with the softer Gummabones or Flexibones. You can get Nylabones in many different types. Many dogs seem to like the dinosaurs. A Nylabone jammed into a Kong is greater than the sum of the parts. I think it makes the bone easier for the dog to hold.

You are right to suspect natural bones. Some day I am going to get picture of my 12 year old Lab Aster's teeth and post it on the web. She has never had much to chew except Kongs and Nylabones, and her teeth are in excellent shape. The front ones still show the 3 lobed pattern.

A good basic obedience class should have taught you how to play the top dog role your dog needs. If not, continuing advanced in the same program won't help. Advanced is more about sharing fun with your dog and competing. Not essential, but maintaining regular time with the dog. Agility is another way to do it. You are right to defer it until his joints have had more time to develop. In the mean time, keep him lean, and switch to an adult chow if still on a puppy chow. That is the most important thing you can be doing now to assure a long, active life.
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Dec 11, 2005, 05:38 PM
    Thanks for the info... we have had him on adult chow since he was 4 months old... the obedience class we went to was great and really helped us understand being top dog... I think we stay with the classes as it is a great chance to bond with our dog.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Dec 15, 2005, 07:52 PM
    Dog Treat
    I am no expert on dogs, but I know what my Charlie loves: Chicken Jerky. Costco carries it 2 1/2 lbs for $11; Sam's Club 2lbs for < $10. It has 70% crude protein and is 97% fat free. I have passed out baggies of the jerky to other dog owners and have gotten rave reviews. I've even cought a couple of my friends munching on them (after perhaps too many beers)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ban of pit bull dogs [ 82 Answers ]

----------------- Bulletin Message ----------------- "Rep. Wesselhoft said the proposed bill will also include provisions designed to bring about an eventual ban of pit bull dogs in the state. The grandfather clause contained in the bill would allow for the continuing existence of pit bulls...

Memory Sticks Losing IT (and so am I) [ 10 Answers ]

Hey Guys, Got a problem that none of the computer whizzes that I know can figure out. I have two 512 Meg memory sticks in my memory bays. Some times They both run at 512 a piece but lately one has dropped down to 32 megs from 512 to over a few days time in 64 MB jumps. The other went down...

Recently got a 4 year old pit bull [ 6 Answers ]

Three days ago I went and picked up a 4 year old pit bull and the pit bull weighs 90 pounds real health she is also fixed can't have pups my only concern is that she is not ate nothing but a hotdog so far and its been 3 days she is drinking water as she needs it the temp outside has been fairly hot...

New Pit Bull won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I just rescued a beautiful Brindle Pit Bull. He is about 2 yrs old. I brought him home last night, he didn't eat then I thought because he was new to our family. He had been mistreated. Today he fits in like he has been here for years, playing with the kids wagging his tail and having a ball....

Standby & hibernate sticks in w2000 pro [ 4 Answers ]

Every time I try to save energy by using STANDBY or HIBERNATE the next morning I can't get my mouse curser ot move?  It like I'm forzen except fpr a few isolated times where I jiggled the mouse and everything came on and worked just fine? I usually have to Reboot most of the time? :-[  

View more questions Search