Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karenlilley Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Why will my shih tzu not eat!
    A week and a half ago I got 2 rescued shih tzus, one a girl and the other a boy he can eat anything going, but she hasn't ate any food at all, I've tried all different types of food dry, and tinned food , she just sniffs it and walks off. She is drinking lots of water , can you help me and see what I can do. :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Have you had them to a vet? Often rescues have medical issues or at best are overdue for shots. Read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 How thin is she, going by the link in the sticky? I would like to see a vet visit before you resort to tempting her with rich food. I am afraid it will be too easy with a Shih Tzu to end up with a picky dog if you start that. A rehomed dog is one of the few cases where it is worth the risk, and even then, only with an underweight dog.

Continue to give her plenty of love and attention.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 05:13 AM
    Karen, I agree with labman. If she hasn't eaten at least one bite of food for more than a few days, it is time for a vet check. Rule out any physical issues. It may be that she is taking longer to adjust to her new home, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Bring in a fecal sample if you can. If the vet tells you nothing is wrong and doesn't offer up advice, or the advice given doesn't get her to eat, please post back.

Nov 12, 2007, 03:00 AM
    Hi thanks for your suggestions. She still hasn't had any dog food but she will eat dog chews and she will all-so eat some human food. I know I should get her to eat dog food but with her being a rescue dog I am not sure what she has been eating for the past 3 years, so its hard. If you have any suggestions what human food is good to give her to keep her energy levels up that would be a great help. Thanks:)
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Don't start down that road. It is too easy to end up with a sickly, picky dog. Have you evaluated her body condition as in the link in the sticky? Just give her a little time. If she is really too thin, try adding a little chicken or beef broth to her chow.

Dec 30, 2007, 07:55 AM
    :) Hi just a follow up about my 2 rescued shih tzus, they are both doing fine now, its just took a bit longer for her to settle in, she is eating every day now and it is dog food. There is only one problem when my other dog goes for a poo, she has to eat it. (why is this):confused:
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 10:20 AM
    All whys are guesses. Some better understood than others. There is a lot of evidence that it is dietary. Females may be quicker because of mothers cleaning up the puppies stools. Could be just that it is there. Many of my puppies have started it about now when I see them playing with the frozen ones. It is also about theme I have switched them to the less rich adult chow. I have always done my best to clean them up first. The worst damage from it is done to the owner's stomach. Perhaps I need to head my Xanthe off by being more conscientious about picking up the back yard.

You can ddd stuff to the food, pineapple juice, canned pumpkin, or the commercial products Forbid and Deter. Eventually many of them outgrow it.

I am glad to hear they are both eating. The rehomed dog may come after the common sick or over fed dog as a cause for not eating. Usually time and TLC takes care of it. Dog chow is good for her, even if she thinks needs stools for desert.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shih tzu [ 1 Answers ]

What to do if my shih tzu eats his poop

My Shih Tzu [ 7 Answers ]

My dog was in his kennel all day and scrapped his neck trying to get out of his kennel. I gave him a luke warm bath to check where he cut himself but it was just scraped. The problem now is he took a poop and there was blood in his stool, then a half hour later he went back into the bathroom to...

Problem With Shih Tzu [ 1 Answers ]

He is about 2yrs old and now have bloody diareia (how ever you spell it) I think he has Hematochezia but I am not sure. He still eats a lot, and no weight lose so I don't think he has Parvo

Shih tzu [ 1 Answers ]

How can I train my 2 months shih tzu to do in the right spot not on the carpet, I used newspapars, dog pads but non was good :)

My shih-tzu [ 2 Answers ]

My shih-tzu is about 10 years old. Recently I was dog sitting my son's beagle. My dog mated once with another shih-tzu. She got pregnant and ennded up needing a c-section. She had 2 puppies who both had breathing problems and she would not care for them. We did our best but both ended up dying....

View more questions Search