Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deborabauer34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Dachshund back problems
    I have a 5 year old mini dachshund one day she was running and jumping the next I am rushing her to the emergency vet because she can't stand. Does back problems start all of the sudden or is this something that starts to show symptoms?
    jonesie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 04:42 PM
    deborabauer34

I have a dachshund with back problems too. She is only 2 years old. Her trouble started when she was just a little over 1 year old - she was hit by a car. The vet told us then that dachshunds were extremely prone to back problems and now she would be at a double risk.. . He was right. Last November she was just fine one day then the next day she was moving slower and acting a little strange she would grunt when you touched her. By the next day she was dragging her hind legs. When we took her to the vet he told us she had a bulging disk and that she really needed surgery. I LOVE my baby but we do not have $2,000 to spend on surgery. He put her on Prednisone and pain killers and within three weeks she was back to normal. It has happen two more times since then. She is like this now - unfortunately she is not responding to the medications this time. I was looking at the doggie carts to see what is available when I ran across this web. But to answer your questions it can come on quickly. This episode now Tator, her name is Sweet Tator, was just fine one morning and we had to go out when we come home she was walking really slow and did not want us to lift her up. The next morning she was dragging her hind legs.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Here is a link to a site I use often. I have bookmarked the Dachshund page. Dachshund, Dachshunds, Wiener Dog, little hot dog, hotdog dog Please scroll down to the health problems section. The AKC also has a page with breed info that includes medical/health problems for each breed.

I am so sorry your little dog has developed this problem. Unfortunately, as you can see from the link, the spinal disc problem is the norm for dachshunds. As they grow older, their discs deteriorate, then one day, they either have problems walking or can't walk at all. There is no way of knowing exactly when this will occur. Vets do stress that doxies weight needs to be managed very carefully because extra weight only accelerates this problem.

This kind of thing only brings home the reality that when you choose a breed, it is very important to do your research and know what will be in store for you and your dog.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2007, 05:23 PM
    The only thing I need to add is my link to evaluating your dog's body condition, LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dachshund Back Problems [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old mini dachshund 10 Lbs who has developed a lower back problem. Feb, couldn't walk, treated with steroids for a few weeks, became better. Than July same problem, steroids again. I have limited all her jumping (furniture) and try to keep her quite on the floor level. My question...

My mini dachshund has back pains, but I can't afford to keep buying her medicine. [ 9 Answers ]

Are there any "dog vitamins" that I can place her on that aren't to expensive? I took her to the vet and he gave her a shot that relaxed her muscles, some anti-inflamatory pills, and some muscle relaxant pills. It came up to $75 and didn't last over 2 weeks. I can't afford to keep taking her back...

Common cause for back problems [ 2 Answers ]

You don’t have much information about the most common cause of pains: twisted/tilted pelvis. Why? It is very common but so poorly known: https://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=10664&page=1 I wish to get explanation what is sacroiliac sprain, sacroiliac dysfunction, SIJ subluxation, ilium...

Back problems [ 9 Answers ]

OK I know everybody has this problem but this is really getting to me now! My waist part off my back is anoying me so much... it feels so tight and if I stretch my spine always makes poping noises but it seems the more I stretch the more I need to pop it... now I have to take tylenol pm every night...

Update: Nine month dachshund still has potty problems. [ 1 Answers ]

After taking her to the vet to talk about why she pees in her crate, he put her on antibiotics in case of a bladder infection and suggested I take out all her bedding, so urinating would be less tolerable for her. So for a little more than two weeks she was on medication and had no bedding, and...

View more questions Search