Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sndytx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 06:10 AM
    New puppy has fleas
    We just got a puppy about 6 weeks old. He has fleas and we're not sure how to treat. Our 3 yr old dog doesn't have fleas because we treat him monthly, can we use the same treatment>
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Read the directions. The Revolution I use can be, although you must buy the right size based on the dog's weight. I would start with a flea spray such as the Ovitrol I got from my vet in the past. Again, follow the directions. The Ovitrol says spray a towel and wrap the puppy with it. Also spray all the house, the car, etc. everywhere the puppy has been. You want to kill off any fleas and any eggs they may have laid. If colder weather is setting in where you are, you might finish up the fall with the flea spray. Then in the spring, you may be able to treat the puppy and older dog out of the same pack of flea remedy. In some places, you may need flea remedy year around. Your vet may not carry Ovitrol, but likely has a safer, more effective product than any OTC product. Stop by the office with any medical records you have on the puppy, buy the flea spray and set up an appointment for when the puppy is due its next shots. The vet may also give you a puppy sized introductory flea remedy dose.

There are those here that are big fans of bathing the puppy in Dawn for fleas. I hate to see a puppy bathed in anything, and we also had a report of a bad reaction to the Dawn.

You may find the sticky helpful at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    sndytx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Thank you so much, I'm making a appt to see our vet today!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

10 month puppy may have fleas [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I think my 10 month dog has fleas. He is an indoor dog. I have found several insects (about 5 so far) on his underbelly but I can't tell if they are fleas. I haven't found any bite marks and he doesn't scratch himself that much. I have have found what I think are flea "dirt" in his...

Puppy has fleas [ 3 Answers ]

I have just brought home a seven week old puppy from a breeder and I have found fleas on her, with her being so young how will I treat them to get rid of them:)

6 Week Old Puppy has Fleas! [ 8 Answers ]

Are 2 older dogs had fleas, so got 2 flea collars for them. Now are puppy is getting fleas and she is only 6 weeks old, what's the best treatment for a puppy so young? Also what's best for the older dogs?

Puppy with fleas [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought an 8 week old pomeranian. She has quite a few fleas. How can I get rid of the fleas? Every shampoo I saw said it was for 12 weeks and older. Are there any flea shampoos for puppies younger than 12 weeks?

My puppy has fleas [ 3 Answers ]

My 13 week old puppy has fleas very bad and I recently bought some flea shampoo from Wal-mart but after I gave him a bath in the exact instructed way on the bottle he still had tons on him. What do I need to do to get rid of them before my dog gets really sick?

View more questions Search