Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoffieMae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Why is my 1 year old Boston pooping in his crate?
    Help! I have a 1 year old male (neutered) Boston Terrier who started pooping and peeing in his cage. I take him out every couple hours, and just before bed time. He has to sleep in his crate at night because he eats anyhing and everything if not supervised. His crate is the perfect size, and he has been crate trained since puppyhood, but just the past few weeks, he won't hold it. What's going on? Can anyone help?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 02:47 PM
    It could be a matter of challenging you for leadership as he ages. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

It is strange, neither I nor the many people I know that have dogs or the people that write books have ever heard of it, but there are several questions a week here about it, and sometimes ones on another site. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/ma...te-136806.html I really don't have an answer, and nobody else seems to either. Dogs will eliminate under stress. I think the stress of being confined and left alone causes it. Read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/in...tml#post251802 as I suggest in the other thread. Laying down by the crate before leaving may work. The peanut butter in the Kong may help. Walking around outside to stimulate bowel movements might help, but they always seem to have more when they need it. Go ahead with the leadership exercises I included in my other answer. You could try covering the crate with something he couldn't pull in and shred. That would make it more den like reducing the stress of being exposed in an open cage. Leave some opening to see out of. It should also help to contain the mess.
    Edit/Delete Message

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pooping in crate [ 6 Answers ]

Hi,I have an 11 week old bernese mountain dog whom we purchased at a pet store.He is having difficulty with pooping in his crate.We took him to the vet the day after we got him because he had runny diaherra with mucus and blood in it.The vet did a test on his poop and he had coccidia.He was treated...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old Boston terrier who still pees and poops in her crate. I am ready to go out of my mind with the smell and the inconvenience of cleaning it everyday. She goes outside before she goes to sleep and doesn't eat after 5:30pm. Not only does she go in her crate but then she eats...

Pooping in Crate [ 14 Answers ]

HELP! I have an 8 week old Rat Terrier who poops everyday in her crate while we're at work... by the time we get home, she has played in it so badly that we have to give her a bath and wash all her toys and towels from the day. How will she ever learn NOT to do this? Everyone tells me that once...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old mini dachsund and crate training her. I have reduced the size of the crate to hopefully stop her from eliminating in her crate. When I crate her with her toys, etc. and I went upstairs. She crys and howls when I leave and hhen I came back down 10 minutes later she pooped in...

6 month old boston terrier pooping in cage [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 month old boston terrier poops in her cage every time that we leave the house (not only does she poop, but she stomps on it and smears it all around the cage and on herself). It doesn't matter how we are gone, 30 minutes or 8 hrs! She never did this before - it just started last month when we...

View more questions Search