Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gooniemel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 10:22 AM
    3 year old dog suddenly pee/pooping in the house!
    I don't know WHAT to do about this. I've had my dog for 3 years now, ever since she was 8 weeks. I house trained her as soon as I got her, and she got the hang of it right away. She's been so good about it for the past 3 years. However, in the past 2 weeks, she's suddenly been peeing and pooping in the dining room. I never catch her in the act, so I'm not sure if its when we're home or not. We still have a crate for her, but we stopped putting her in it over the summer. Except now we've been putting her back in it during the day to prevent her from peeing and pooping. I've had to shampoo the carpet almost every day, and I even blocked off the dining room with gates, except she managed to squeeze through a small spot behind the couch, and she pooped and peed in the dining room again. I'm not sure if she doesn't it when I'm home, but if she does, she doesn't even go to the back door to go outside, or she doesn't even try to get my attention. It's horrible and I don't know what to do! HELP!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2005, 12:46 PM
    Something has changed in her life. I think it is a status thing. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

For some reason, she feels the need to claim the house by relieving herself, showing she can, and you can't stop her. As they reach 3 years old a dog's personality matures. Quite often they challenge their owner for top dog status.

All the top dog stuff needs to be in addition to what your are doing, the crate, carefully watching her, gating off part of the house, etc. Of course, if she has a physical problem such as a bladder infection, no amount of training will fix that. Some antibiotics from the vet will quickly fix it. You may want to ask about spaying her if not already. This could also be leading up to her season.
    MEME4567 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 09:55 PM
    My dog is doing this too! I'm freaked out my mom wants to get rid of her!!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2009, 11:44 PM

MEME4567 please check the dates on posts, this thread was started in 2005, if you want to ask about your dog then please start a new thread about it.

thread closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

AC compressor/Fan suddenly not working [ 4 Answers ]

Our AC suddenly stops working. It's fan inside runs continuously, but the outdoor unit (compressor/fan) stops running. We tried switching on/off the circuit breaker, changing the air filter, yet nothing works. We were told that it can be some pressure buildup on the compressor, and there is...

Shut off valve - 80 year old house [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question about shut off valves for plumbing on 80 year old home in Omaha. Does anyone have a ballpark idea of what plumber charges should be to replace shut off valve inside (basement) and outside at the street? The water company said to call a plumber as the valve at the street is...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

Dog suddenly going potty [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 yr. old lab mix got her vaccination boster today, and tonight she suddenly went pee in the house, all over before we noticed it. A reaction to the shots or coincidence?

Suddenly - no hot water out of shower [ 1 Answers ]

All of a sudden the upstairs shower stopped getting hot water (or, stopped showering hot water). Even if you run the water for a while with the shower thingy pointed to "Hot" no hot h2o cometh. Sink next to shower gets hot fine. Any suggestions? Can I fix this myself? Ta! :eek:

View more questions Search