Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgs4real Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 11:23 AM
    When is a puppy not a puppy anymore?
    Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a lot of really good things in it and not real expensive.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2005, 01:01 PM
    That is hard to say. Most dogs will do OK on one meal a day after 6 months. Likely it is OK for the little ones too, but the larger breeds are better off to be on adult chow before that. Much of the puppy behavior continues until the personality matures at 3 years. My daughter's Lhasa/Min Pin mix is just 3 now, and still seems about the same. He has learned to live in a house and extended family with Labs and Shepherds. He does his best to keep them straight.

Free feeding works for some dogs, but leads many to life shortening over weight. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog
    Must have its food adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a good illustrated guide,
    mgs4real Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 01:14 PM
    Thanks!
    Well, that helps. He's a real go-getter so he's definitely in the "ideal" category. Nice to know. I guess it is time to start trying to plan how much he is eating.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 27, 2005, 02:28 PM
    http://www.sniksnak.com

This is a neat site to look at and find out lots about your puppy, try it. Pet lovers are the Greatest!:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My new puppy won't eat [ 7 Answers ]

Yesterday I got a new puppy from a puppy store... :) The only problem is that she won't eat the food (or water) that the puppy store gave us to give to her. :( She is only 5 months old and the only thing she will eat is cooked rice in the food that they gave us but even though we do that she...

Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

We have took in a stray puppy so we do not know all of her habits, we took her to the Vet right away because she had ticks & flea all over her when she wondered into my husbands work. The vet gave her shots, and said she is about 8 weeks old. My questions her skin is very hot to the touch on her...

My new puppy won't eat! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. A few days ago, we got a puppy from the humane society about 100 miles from where we live. He is part Great Pyreneese, Saint Bernard, and is 3 months old. ( So they said ) He was nuetered the morning we got him. They told me he had all of his shots too. Well, I brought him home, and he has only...

Puppy wants in and out, in and out [ 4 Answers ]

I take my now 9 week old puppy to work with me every day. I've had him since he was 5 weeks old so he is somewhat house trained already, and my office building is actually a house so there is a yard. My puppy will go to the door and whine when he wants to go out, which I know should be good. BUT,...

New Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old dog (scrappy) a kitten (tuxeda) and a cat (amber) and I just got a new 3 month old shepherd mix (kaden). Scrappy gets along fine with Kaden but my cats won't come downstairs how can I get them used to the new addition to the family? Its only been 2 days so maybe they just need time...

View more questions Search