Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boompa1983 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 05:55 AM
    My Dog Cries all night in Crete
    I have a 10 week old puppy that cries all night in the crete.

I have taken him for walks, he plays with the other dog, he should be tired. But 4 am roles around and he is still screaming.

When we first got him for about the last week we had him sleeping in our bed so I think he got used to that since the separation from his mom and rest of the litter. He now pees in the bed and I can't stand it.. .

I have tried laying next to the crete, having the crete on the bed with me, putting my shirt in with him (which just gets pee'd on), talking to him etc. I'm open for suggestions.. . I've been trying everything that everyone suggests.. .

What Should I do?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 06:21 AM
    He knows you will give in. if you want him to sleep with you in bed without peeing limit water intake before bed and walk him constantly. If he moves in bed walk him, he breaths differently walk him. Be ahead of his game.

If you want him in the crate, kkep it in the bedroom, after all he is a pack animal and you are his pack. Walk him before saying goodnight. Place him in his crate and leave him in there. Eventually he will stop crying. The 4 am cry, he was telling you he had to make.

Good luck
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 06:42 AM
    I have had great success with puppy after puppy by lying down next to the crate. However, I am doing it starting the first night with a 7 week old puppy that wasn't spoiled by sleeping in bed. There are so many thing s that go so much better starting correctly. I suggest you read through the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Giving up and letting him sleep in your bed is a big mistake, starting down the road of allowing him to run the home for the rest of his life. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

I have to go, more later.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Continuing. Here are some gentle ways of letting a younger puppy know you are the leader.

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.

You might check with the vet. An 11 week old should be dry going over night.

I would take up the water about 7 at night. Then at bd time, outside for a period of vigorous play stimulating the body to believe itself and tire the puppy out. When it shows signs of slowing, take it in and put it in the crate. Lay down there and talk or sing to it. That has always eventually worked for me. If after a half hour it is still crying, I guess give up and go to bed and try to get some sleep. I missed a lot of sleep before I happened on the laying down by the crate trick. You may just have to go through it with your puppy. Once you put it in the crate, you must leave it there. To the puppy, this is a very important issue. Give in on it, and it will try the same thing again and again.
    nothanks Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 27, 2009, 09:51 PM
    I wouldn't put a dog in a crate.

Would you put a baby in a crate? This is something recently developed over the last few years and people having given it a terrible misnomer "Crate Training".

I think it's cruel. So sad.

My dog has a bed, he's 5 months old, and that's where he sleeps. NOT in a cage. Why even have a pet if you're going to psychologically and emotionally hurt it?

Crates... same goes with shock collars. It's sick...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2009, 02:21 AM

Crates are not cruel or sick by any means...

thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do about my dog crying at night? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog Nicky is almost 4 years old. I made the mistake of babying him since he was 8 weeks old. I have been working with being more stern with him recently and he is responding semi-well. My biggest problem that I have now is that Nicky crys at night when I put him to bed. He sleeps in a...

Help... Dog cries every night in the crate... [ 10 Answers ]

My one year old dachshund cries every night at around 1am in his crate for no other reason then to be let out to come sleep in my bed. We try to ignore it and tell him to lay down but this will go on for an hour or so until we finally give in and let him out. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Won't eat and Cries all night [ 3 Answers ]

My roommates and I recently got an 8 week old kitten from some neighbors. She is very cute, but we are worried that something might be wrong with her. We have all never had a kitten before. Our kitten won't eat the food that we bought her. (the only thing that we have gotten her to "eat" is some...

Dog Cries when Pooping [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old lab/terrior mix and for the last few days she cries when she poops. Can anyone tell me why? Sincerely, Case7280

Dog Wakes Me Up at Night: HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I adopted a male "shelter" dog last week... a young (less than a year but probably older than six months according to the vetinarian) black lab mix. He's a great dog... affectionate, obedient, and seems to be housetrained. He gets walks and bathroom breaks up to 5 times a day so maybe he...

View more questions Search