Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sereni-T Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2007, 12:39 PM
    What is an alpha-male?
    I've head this term been used many times, but don't know exactly what it is. Could someone enlighten me? Wikipedia didn't help!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 12:41 PM
    The male all the other males don't want to mess with :) typically the head dog.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2007, 12:46 PM
    A greek? ;)
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
    The leader of the pack so to speak the guy that everyone looks up to and respects.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 04:39 PM
    The term was first used by behaviorists studying wolf packs. Each male ranks somewhere among the males and each female is ranked with the females. They use the Greek letters, alpha, bata, gamma, etc. Only the alpha male and female breed. The terms are used with other species too. So the term alpha male is commonly applied to any powerful, dominant figure.

See Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Male breats [ 1 Answers ]

How do I reduce them? Can it be done with excerise? Chin ups, push ups??

Spayed male dog humping other male dogs. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

My male dog mixed boston terrier/pug. He has been spayed at 4 months old. He never bother females dogs. But when a small male dog comes around he wants to hump her all the time. Why is that? How can I break him from it? I though once spayed they do not have the desire to hump. And why he only...

Radiation, range of alpha particles [ 5 Answers ]

Alpha particles lose 5 x 10(-18) J of kinetic energy in each collision they make with an air molecule. An alpha particle traveling through air at STP undergoes around 5(5) ionising collisions with the air molecules for each centimeter of air they travel through. Calculate the range of the alpha...

View more questions Search