Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louisagerard Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Hind legs
    My cocker spaniel is 6 years old and about 10lbs. Overweight. He ran down the stairs too fast and somehow hurt his hind legs. I noticed that he was trying to balance himself but kept falling. I took him to the vet and the vet said he really couldn't say exactly what was wrong. From the x-rays he did it looked like calcification in the spine. His hind legs were becoming paralyzed. He kept him overnight and gave him a cortisone shot. The next day he was walking but very slowly. When he had to go to the bathroom he could not lift his leg. He had to squat. The vet said he was much better from when he was brought in. That it would take a while before he was 100% better. Once home he tried to go up the stairs. (only three) I called the vet. The vet said he really shouldn't but if he was attempting to do this on his own, then he was probably feeling better. Is there anyway I can help my dog strengthen his hind legs or should I just let it be? The vet wants me to call him after he finishes his meds, or before that if I feel like something is wrong. My dog also after walking a while will drag one hind leg. Not bad just a little. I don't want him to hurt himself but he gets up on his own to walk. Do you think this is OK? I don't see any possible way to force him to stay put. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
    I always hate it when they tell me to keep the dog quiet, but don't give me any Valium. Perhaps the best thing is to try to stay quiet yourself and the others in the family. He will feed on your excitement. Can somebody else occupy him while you do exciting things like vacuum?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Louisa, since you mentioned the dogs weight, I assume the vet talked to you about trying to help your dog lose weight? Cut back a little on the food. The weight loss should help him in the long run. Keeping a dog trim helps to avoid the back issues as they get older, among other medical problems. Since he now has this problem, weight loss will help ease the pain a bit. There isn't a lot you can do to keep the dog from moving and you really don't want to do that. His back issues will worsen if he isn't allowed to move around. The vet is right. If your dog is moving more, he is feeling better. We take our cues from our pets as to what they are willing to do or not do when they are ill. If you are very worried about what may occur due to the staircase, you may want to consider placing a babygate at the bottom of the staircase when he is downstairs. Then, when you are upstairs and he wants to be with you, can you carry him upstairs? If so, than do that. Once he is upstairs and comfortable, put the baby gate at the top of the stairs to make sure he doesn't walk down on his own. I know it can be a bit tiresome, but that is the only solution I can think of that will resolve your concerns about the staircase if he is used to coming and going as he pleases.

Aug 20, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Thanks for your advise. It is funny because we know he needs to lose weight. The vet laughed because the medication he is on will make him more thirsty and more hungry. So he suggested we work on his weight once he is finished with the meds. Maybe you know the answer to this: I usually give him 1/2 cups of dry food with a few teaspoons of wet, once in the morning and once at dinner time. Can a dog eat only wet food? Wouldn't that help him loose weight? Maybe with only a little dry food to hold him?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 07:48 AM
    I would forgo the wet food and feed him only dry food. Dry food is better for his dental health and it is balanced for his nutritional needs. Just doing that alone should help him lose a little bit of weight. You may want to speak to your vet about his thoughts on switching the dry food to one that is made specifically for overweight or older dogs. Over the course of a few days to a one week period, you mix the old food and the new food, starting with just a little of the new mixed in with the old, and each feeding time, up the amount of new & decrease the amount of old. Doing it this way helps to avoid digestive upsets.

Aug 20, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Thanks for the information. I will be calling my vet to work on some kind of diet for my dog, once he is finished with his meds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fat legs [ 1 Answers ]

I have really "fat legs".. but it's not mostly fat that's in it.. I think it's mostly muscle.. and I don't know what to do with it.. I'm not a big person.. I'm not tall or have a big body built.. so it's just so totally out of proportion with the rest of my body parts. And the only thing I like...

Yorkie has pain in hind leg joint [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 and a half year of Yorkie. She cries every time her right leg is moved in a specific position such has lying on her left side that causes her right hind leg to kind of rise, or when I pick her up by her underarms. She's not limping when she walks but seems VERY hesitant to lie down on...

Rash in legs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time using this site the problem is with my legs I've always had some rash on the back up side of each leg and my legs are light but with olot of uneven skin stains I want to know what can I cuse to have great legs without the rash and even color.

Cat soreness in her hind end [ 3 Answers ]

We have a cat that our family found 8 years ago that has been a treasured family member ever since. Her name is Kit Kit, we believe she is anywhere between 10 and 13 years of age as she was not a kitten when we found her. 3 weeks ago she just stopped moving around the house and when she had to...

My Dog Either Broke Or Smashed Hind Leg [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wondering what I should do for my dog. My heavy sliding gate fell over on one of my dog back legs. When he stands, It kind of hangs from the ankle and foot area. It looks smashed it that one spot, with swelling around it. What can I do to treat him before I get him to the vet. I...

View more questions Search