Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randomlyhyper314 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Cartilage
    I just got my cartilage pierced about 4 days ago by a friend. It didn't really hurt that bad until now. It's a little red, but not swollen or anything like that. It just stings really bad. I don't know what I should do because my parents don't know about the piercing. Is there anything I can do without them finding out about the piercing?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 04:55 PM
    It might be the start of an infection and that means a trip to the doctor. I don't believe there will be a way around that.

Not to preach to you but piercings should only be performed by a professional to ensure safety and hygiene.
    rickid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 05:11 PM
    I wouldn't worry yet. Cartilage peircings take a long time to heal, and can easily get irritated until they are fully healed. Mine would get red and hurt for a long time from sleeping on it, so make sure you aren't laying on the side of the peircing. Also it helps to dab alcohol around the jewelry and twist the jewelry to work the alcohol into the hole.

I wouldn't go to the doctor unless it gets swollen or starts getting oozy.
    randomlyhyper314 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Well, I haven't touched my ear in a while and took some advil and now it does hurt at all. I'm planning on cleaning it really well tonight. If it still hurts later. I will tell my parents. But it only hurts when I touch it or when I clean it. Do you still think its infected?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Your cartilage is made up of very sensitive tissue. Playing with it, over cleaning it, sleeping on it or using that ear to talk on the phone can easily irritate the piercing. I would not worry about it as of yet. If it was infected it would be very very sore, swollen beyond belief, and have a yellowish smelly discharge. If you do happen to experience any of those symptoms, see a doctor for some anti-biotics.

In the mean time, you can put a warm compress on it for 10 minutes twice a day. This will soothe it a bit and reduce some swelling. I was going to suggest taking some Advil, but you already did.. good job. While it is going through this irritation, clean it only once a day, using anti bacterial soap. When it seems to die down, you can resume cleaning it twice a day. If you are cleaning it with any saline solution or salt soaks, stop doing that. Salts dry out piercings and cause further irritation. Keep me posted on how its coming along. :)

**EDIT** - I would also like to add, do not use alcohol as stated to above. It will only dry out the piercing further.
    3lastwords Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Wow I had the same problem, I got mine pierced with a gun at a hairsalon. (BAD IDEA)
    I have mine for about 2 months now, I've developed a bump in the back, but it actaully went pretty well for me. So don't worry about it. Needless to say, I didn't take care of my piercing either, & my parents didn't know about it. Uhm, I suggest you use the salt soak, (SEASALT ONLY) because before I had a pus bubble, and using the salt soaks, it disappeared. Don't worry about it drying out, after the salt soaks, rinse your piercing in clean water and it will be fine. First clean it with some antibacterial unscented soap, then following the sea salt soaks :) if you want to give it more cleaning/sanitizing, you should buy the antiseptic from claires or ardene, they work... ALOT.

P.S I suggest you tell your mom, or whomever you are closer to, cause they're going to find out about it sooner or later, and I think they will like to hear it from you then them finding out for themselves. I told my mom... it wasn't pretty, but she got over it, she was glad I told her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cartilage piercing [ 12 Answers ]

Hello I am thinking of getting my cartilage pierced.. I was wondering how much that would hurt?

Cartilage Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I got my cartilage pierced 9 days ago and it seemed to be fine. Now it's red and is tender. There isn't any puss or scabs but it hurts to touch or lay on. Is this normal or is it infected? :confused:

Swimming after cartilage piercing [ 4 Answers ]

Is it safe to go swimming in a chlorine pool right after getting a cartilage piercing (on your upper ear)?:confused:

Cartilage piercing. Swimming? [ 3 Answers ]

I am thinking about getting my cartilage pierced. I hear it takes around 3-6 months to heal. If I got it pierced now would I be able to swim in Lake Shasta in August?

My cartilage piercing. [ 20 Answers ]

I always wanted my cartilage pierced, just a simple stud. Though, my mother never wanted me to do it. I was at a friends house 2 days ago who has a piercing gun, that is her mothers who has a license for piercings. Anyway, so since I always wanted it done, my friend did it. It's been 2 days, and...

View more questions Search