Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amberandfrank Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Dogs and cat
    I just got a 4 month old kitten last night and when I tried to introduce him to my two puppies he would freak out his hair would stand up he'd hiss and scratch me. I even tried when the puppies were in their crates, the dogs didn't bark or anything they just seemed excited. So should I just leave the bedroom door open and allow him to come out on his own or how should I introduce them?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Wow! That poor kitty! Nervous breakdown time!

First he has to get used to you and the house. Is there a room you can put him in and close him off until he gets used to you and playing with you--gets used to your voice, the food you bring him, his litter box, etc. Slowly, very slowly (like in a few weeks), introduce him to the dogs.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:03 AM
    I have introduced puppies to my cats - they didn't like them. But, you can always put the cat in a crate and let the dogs come to it. They will learn to live together. It just takes time. The puppies will just want to play and the cat will let them know who is boss. I don't think I would hold the cat during the introductions though - that could get painful.
    Put the dogs on their leashes and then put the cat down.

Like I said, it will take time and they will learn to live together.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:22 AM
    I don't agree with putting the cat into a crate and letting the dogs come to it; this will give the cat a bad experience which will make it even harder for him to get use to the pups. The best thing you can do is let the cat go into the house and let time take it's course. He will probably hide out for a while until he feels comfortable... and he will eventually.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:23 AM
    One last thing... NEVER physically "hold the cat down" while doing this! It will only cause the cat to have a BAD experience and you to get hurt.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Since this sounds like mostly a problem with the cat, I moved the question to Cats.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:33 AM
    To expand on wondergirls idea, you could also bring him into the living area, in a carrier maybe cover up one end of it so he could hide. Also sit it up high so he can see the dogs and watch them but not have to be bothered by them coming up to his cage. Do this for an hour or so each day.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 26, 2007, 09:36 AM
    TWO threads merged

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

View more questions Search