Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Feeding your puppy
    I am currently on the lookout for a new pup to add to my small family (me and my bf) I don't work and am home all the time. I was wondering what's kinds of dog food are good for a growing pup. It's a young *only a few months old not sure exact age* but she's eating solid food well. It's a pitbull/valley bull cross. I also would like to know approximately how much I should feed her a day if we do decide to buy her. I've owned dogs before but never a mixture of these two... I've been around pittys for a long time as other people in our family own them but I just want to make sure I am prepared. Also I would like a few home coming tips as I have never gotten a dog this young. Most of my wonderful animals have been at least 1 1/2 to 2 years of age and were already off their puppy chow. Any help would be apprechated
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 09:56 AM
    If it is now being fed any decent puppy chow, I would stick with it to 4 months. The less you jump around different chows, the better. See the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 It is well proven that an early switch to adult chow slows growth and allows joint problem prone larger breeds more time to develop study joints. Not sure if your puppy will fall into the larger breeds. My vet draws the line at 50 pound adults. He also says go straight to adult chow when you get the puppy. You might see what RubyPitbull has to say on this topic. She has been around a while and has demonstrated a good understanding of dogs.

There is an immense amount of information about dog chows around that has little or no testing to back it. I prefer to take the word of the large dog guide and service dogs schools with the testing they have done on thousands of dogs in their care.

How much you feed can have a bigger effect on the health that what you feed. Puppies often come from the breeder as cute, roly poly, butter balls. Allowed to stay fat, they grow into sickly adults with more joint problems and shorter lives. To judge a puppy's weight, go to LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Binx, I don't have much to add to labman's suggestions. Speak to the people that you are getting him from and find out what chow they are feeding, how much, and how many times a day. I am assuming that you will bring the pup in to see your vet when you get him? That would be a good starting point to figure out approximately how old he is, ask your vet if he is the correct weight, if you should start switching to adult chow, and if so, ask him for a recommendation of food, how many times a day, and how much each time. There aren't any specific kibble recommendations for these breeds. You may want to also talk to your friends & family that have pitbulls and find out what they are feeding their dogs if their dogs appear to be healthy and in good shape. Your dog should do just as fine on the same products. When you make a decision, slowly introduce the new food over the first week he is with you. Reduce the amount of the old food and increase the amount of new food at each feeding. By the end of the week, he should be completely adjusted to the new food without worry of an upset digestive tract.

Come back a repost and let us know how you are getting along. Any specific training concerns you may have, just post, and we will help you as much as we can. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Feeding my goat too much? [ 11 Answers ]

New to the goat thing-can you feed a goat too much? She's in the process of weaning twins. We give about a coffee can full of feed twice daily plus hay and free feed. Babies will eat feed, too but she gets the most of it. She will not hush! Is she crying because she's hungry or about to explode?...

Miniature Dachsund Puppy Feeding [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of food should be given to a 5 week old mini doxie? I want to do whatever I can to prevent my little puppy from having long term back problems and need help on feeding

Feeding bread to cows [ 2 Answers ]

I just wanted to say,bread will kill a cow. Someone fed my two beef cattle a large amount of bread,which they could not digest.Will bread kill any other animal?

Feeding kittens [ 1 Answers ]

When and what should I feed my cats kittens?

Am I feeding my baby too much? [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter is 7 months today. I am still breastfeeding at least 5 times a day and she is also on solids. Since she has been 6 months, she eats 3 meals a day of solids. She normally has at least two Stage 2 jars plus small amount of cereal at each feeding (most of the time). Many times she acts...

View more questions Search