Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pack Leader Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jun 15, 2007, 12:31 AM
    What can I do about my dog crying at night?
    My dog Nicky is almost 4 years old. I made the mistake of babying him since he was 8 weeks old. I have been working with being more stern with him recently and he is responding semi-well.

My biggest problem that I have now is that Nicky crys at night when I put him to bed. He sleeps in a crate (as well as his 2 sisters, but they all have their own kennel) he is fine in the crate, but during the night he will whine and cry until I come in. I don't want to let him cry all night because I don't want to upset the neighbors and I don't want to keep giving in and going in to him. If I let him out to pee, he will normally go back to bed.

Nicky ate the tainted recalled pet food and has some kidney problems. I am allowing him as much water as he wants, but now he keeps waking up all night. I can't leave him outside at night, so that is not an option

I can't tell if he REALLY has to pee or he's just playing me. Is there any way to train him to hold it all night, should I use a spray bottle in the middle of the night? What options do I have?

Thanks, in advance... I hope I made sense, I haven't had much sleep as I write this.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 03:24 AM
    If he settles down again once you have taken him out, I would say he needs to go out. You might try letting him have more water earlier in the day, and then cut it clear off about 7 PM. Also, see what your vet has to say. I wouldn't punish him for what sounds like a physical problem.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2007, 06:45 PM
    I agree with labman. You have to understand that your little guy now has a physical ailment. It sounds like he is trying his best to let you know that he needs to go outside so he doesn't have an accident. As labman suggests, speak to your vet about whether it would be wise to cut him off from water by 7 p.m. If he feels that it is okay to give him as much water as he wants during the day and it is safe to cut him off in the early evening hours, then do that. Walk him as late as you possibly can for a pee run and see if that will keep him content for the entire night. Let us know how he is doing.
    wacky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 05:58 PM
    My dog cryes at night after many years of being in create, could their be a reason why?
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Aug 6, 2008, 02:09 AM
    Is it possible your dog is not getting adequate exercise during the day and therefore isn't tired out at night, if so this could be the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog won't stop crying at night [ 9 Answers ]

Every night when I go put my 1 yr old mix in his cage he will start to cry when all of the light go off. I would give him a bone and that works for a little while then he will go back to crying. After about 30min has passed he would fall asleep. Is there something wrong with him or is he just...

Jack Russell pup still crying at night after 3 weeks! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi,we've had our Jack Russell pup for 3 weeks now,she is 12 weeks old and still cries at night.She sleeps in a crate downstairs with a night light.She has improved... we're down to 20 minutes every night after we go to bed from 4-6 hours lol.We play with her before bed,she has 2 or 3 walks through...

13 year old labrador crying, barking at night, going in circles, hiding under tables [ 3 Answers ]

Hi and thanks for the forum, My 13 year old choco lab CoCoBear has suddenly developed fearful behaviors, especially at night. She won't "settle" to sleep; whines, cries, and barks and acts confused. During the day she tries to hide under tables. For some time she has needed help getting up on...

Dog crying? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Golden retriever/German shepard cross, and she's female. The past few days she's been crying, then she goes to lay on her bed, she just randomly cries. She's eating and wants to play etc, but we have no idea why that could be? She hasn't been spayed, no, and there's a lot of...

Pregnant Dog crying [ 2 Answers ]

Our dog is pregnant. We breed her on April 8th and now all of a sudden last night she was real uncomfortable and crying. If we talked with her or petted her she was fine. Tonight she started the same. She is eating fine. Isn't it a little early? Do you think the pups are just moving around and she...

View more questions Search