Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChelseaAndSteve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 05:43 AM
    Dog Stopped Sleeping Through Night
    My boyfriend and I have a 9 month old Beagle/Boston Terrier mix. We have had him since he was 10 weeks old. Until recently, he has been very well trained. But in the last few weeks he has become very frustrating. He can't be left alone for any length of time without getting upset. He use to sleep through the night after just turning 3 months. It was great! Now he wakes us up at least 2 times a night to be let out, or wandering around the house. We play with him and walk him regularly. He is sometimes caged during the day, but with period of being let out on our lunch breaks. This is not new,he has had to be left alone for a few hours straight since we brought him home. He always eats between 5 and 6. Always goes out before coming to bed. Any ideas??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 10:29 AM

What length of time is he left alone? At some point the "puppy" need for sleep changes to a need to be awake more often and that might be the problem.

On the other hand - my GSD is a very restless sleeper, always has been. She patrols most of the night and goes out frequently. I guess I'm used to it - unfortunately!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Sounds like the young fella is beginning to need more exercise. His beagle heritage is showing. Instead of walking, you might try biking with him. Let him decide when he's done, though. He will get you up to a couple of miles in a very short time. Again, don't overdo it, let him go until he's tired then go home.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 01:30 AM

Judy ands Cats have answered it perfectly... at 9 months a smaller breed like a Beagle is capable of handling a little more strenuous exercise.

If it is possible where you live swimming is great for younger dogs!
    It puts less strain on their joints and sure wears them out fast!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sleeping at night [ 3 Answers ]

Peyton is now 2 weeks old. She still has her days and nights mixed up which means long nights for me. When she is awake at night she is fussy almost like she is fighting sleep. When she does finally fall asleep I will lay her down for her to wake up 15 to 20 minutes later and the process starts all...

Dog not sleeping at night [ 1 Answers ]

My dog every night acts like there is really bad thunder storm. Trying to get in bed with you and sleeping on your head, heavy panting and when we lock him out of the bedrooms he urinates. He gets extremely restless. Can't sit still. So even if you let him on your bed, he moves all the time. About...

Sleeping through the night? [ 2 Answers ]

Duncan is doing very well- almost 14 weeks and getting bigger by the second. The question is, he doesn't always sleep through the night. He was getting up in the middle of the night every night at first, now it's more like every other night or 3-4 times per week. We are just wondering when it is...

Sleeping through the night [ 1 Answers ]

OK my son is now 5 ina half months old and does not sleep through the night instead he wakes up EVERY hour sometimes every half hour and its been like this for a long while about 3 months and its taking its toll on me being a single mother going to school full time. Am asking for anyway that you...

Sleeping through the night [ 7 Answers ]

Ok friends, here's another question for you. Is it normal for a two year old to not be sleeping through the night? My son has basically never slept through the night. There will be an occasional night that he does, but for the most part, he wakes up several times a night. I am tempted to just let...

View more questions Search