Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inkaddiction Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Over weight Pit Bull & friend
    [F]I apologize if there is another thread some place that I missed...... I have a 3 yr old spayed pit, she was just to the vet and weighed 80 lbs, shes fat, but I can still see her "outline" aside from her weight she has a horrid gas issue, she chases us out of the room, her playmate is a 113 lb Border Collie/Yellow Lab/Something Huge also with the weight problem. They have always eaten Atta Boy and seem to do fine on it, aside from the fat, they spend a lot of time out in the yard playing. I would like to change them to a different food, a "diet" food if you will, but most of what I have read about Chicken Soup, Pedigree, and others, they cause runny stools, vomiting, and even seizure, not a chance I want to take...is there a good, affordable low calorie/weight management dog food out there that will also help with the gas problem....before we have to by gas masks?......oh, I did recently try Iams Less Active, they seem to like it ok, but I can only find it in 20 lb bag with in 50 miles of my house and with 3 dogs they eat enough I like to stock up, and its 20 bucks a bag.....any ideas????
    trj206 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2008, 02:11 AM
    I have a pit bull.. and he was over 80lbs in the past! We also have delt with the most horrible gas issues with him. But that's the past... he was on Canidae-which is a very good food.. firm stool.. less to no gas at all.(we stopped using it because he can't have chicken). Now he is on Precise.. this is the same- firm stool.. no gas.. good on his skin and coat too. So I would say try one of those. The bags of food range in price but we pay about 35 bucks for a 40lb bag... hope this helps
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Unfortunately, the gas problem is consistent with the weight issue. Too much food or too rich food can cause this. Gassy issues are consistent with the stocky or larger breeds of dogs. Be thankful you don't have a bulldog or boxer. They can be the worst with gas issues.

It is good that you recognize that you have to get the weight issue under control. Most of the chows that are considered higher quality (no fillers, byproducts, preservatives) cost more. Unfortunately, I have been noticing the pricing of dog food has increased in the past few months and I am having trouble finding the larger bags as well.

My pit was a rescue who had a very poor start in life and was left with digestive issues. I went through a lot of different foods trying to find one that would give her good solid stools. She had a chronic diarrhea issue. I finally tried Hill's Prescription Science Diet W/D. You can only purchase it from a vet. Purina also makes a prescription formula for overweight dogs that you can purchase through a vet.

I would suggest if they did okay with the Iams lite, seek out the store manager. Ask if he/she will order the larger bags for you and what the price will be. I don't know where you live but if you have any pet stores in your area, they are usually very good about placing special orders for their customers. They want to ensure they have repeat business. The larger stores like Walmarts don't worry about going out of business and are less likely to cater to a customer's needs. If you pick up the Iams lite from a grocery store, depending on the store, I find the managers are willing to carry the packaging you request, as long as it is a product that they usually stock.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What to Feed my Pit Bull to make him gain weight! [ 3 Answers ]

What should I feed my pit Bull to make him gain Weight! I want him to be thick but not over weight! What kind of Healthy Food is High in Protein or what kind of suplements can I give him?:) :rolleyes:

Bull Terrier [ 12 Answers ]

I know that pit bulls are banned in Winnipeg and Ontario Canada but are Bull Terrier pit bulls? Are they banned as well in Winnipeg? (where I live)

Pit bull weight gain [ 4 Answers ]

I have a pitbull puppy that is 5 mouths old. I can't get him to gain any wieght. He is so skinny. ( bony skinny) he eats reg. puppy food ,but still not gaining any weight. What could I feed him to help him bulk up?:confused: :confused:

Bull Dog [ 12 Answers ]

My Bull Dog has little pea size bumps all over her. Any one no what this could be is it common in Bull Breed? She also has cherry eye any one familure with this? My daughter brought her home from the barn where we board our horse, She was abussed and neglected.

New Pit Bull won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I just rescued a beautiful Brindle Pit Bull. He is about 2 yrs old. I brought him home last night, he didn't eat then I thought because he was new to our family. He had been mistreated. Today he fits in like he has been here for years, playing with the kids wagging his tail and having a ball....

View more questions Search