Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katmitchell Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Is is possiable that you NEVER get a positive result on a HPT but still be pregnant
    Hi there:

Me and my husband have been trying for 3 months now to become pregnant. I was just woundering if there is any way that I could be the type of person that will never get a positve result on a HPT. I am not late yet my period is due in 2 days and I took a test today and it said you can test 4 days before your are due but it came back negative, I have been getting some headaches, boobs sore. ANY Response WOULD BE AWSOME THANKS.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Possible, but not likely... you will see a rise in hormone level during the first several weeks and after a time it may start to drop back down. Whether you get a positive result on a hpt really doesn't mean too much as your doctor would do a blood test to confirm if need be anyway. It is not uncommon to be pregnant and still get a negative result on a hpt for sometime. Since your aren't quite due for your period just let, and premenstrual symptoms can often be similar to early pregnancy symptoms, give it a few more days and see what happens. Could be your period is getting ready to come on, but if it doesn't show up, try another test at that time. Good luck!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 09:40 AM
    There could be various reasons for a false negative test.
    Untimely detection attempt
    One reason for a false negative pregnancy test could be that you took the test too early for the Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) to be present in your blood. Pregnancy tests vary in their sensitivity which means how soon they can detect the hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in your urine. It is possible that although your ovum might be fertilized, meaning you may be pregnant, but your body has not started secreting enough Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) for the test to measure. Your body needs at least 14 days after ovulation for the hormone to rise to a high enough level to be detected in a test.

Since your period is due in two days, you can wait to see if it comes or try again with 1st morning urine. If it comes back negative and your still worried, see a doctor for a blood test. Even though you show signs of pegnancy, you might not be. Have you recently stopped any birth control methods. It took me 1year to conceive and that's after we gave up and then it happen.
    babygirl1092 Posts: 114, Reputation: 8
    -

Jun 25, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Well, I am one of those women every one says is unlikely I am pregnant with twins and I have never had a pos hCG level until I was put on a medication to keep my level up to contiue my pregnancy
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Jun 26, 2008, 08:46 AM
    I think it is possible. My aunt never got a positive until she was well into her 4th month. In the middle of May I was feeling so weird before my expected period was due. So I took an early test and it came out negative. Then the day my period was due and nothing showed, got another negative. Then the next week took another test, another negative. Took another test the next week, negative. Finally in the third week of skipping my period (well over 15 days late) I finally got a positive. But before that I just knew. I don't really like buying those early predictor tests because it even says on the box 4 days before is like 55% accurate 3 days before is 67% accurate and on and on so your pretty much better off waiting until you skip because I don't think that 55% or 67% is worth paying the money for that. So I would wait a few days after if you skip. Goodluck
    -

Jun 26, 2008, 09:02 AM
    That's how I feel, you pay so much money for the early response test, and half the time get a negative and the little cheapies give you a pos. I just don't understand it. Personaly I would wait 3 weeks after my missed period and take the other brands.

Jun 26, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Exactly. The dollar tree tests are better then the early ones. With my first pregnancy the night before I was expecting my period I took a dollar tree test, a very bright positive. Then the next morning I went out and bought an early predictor test and the positive was so faint it might as well should not have been there.
    -

Jun 26, 2008, 09:18 AM
    I took the early response 13 days after my missed period and it was negative and I took a cheaper one(not sure of the brand) and it was faintly pos, so I headed to the doctors to find out I was carring twins and I had been for almost 2 1/2 months.

Jun 26, 2008, 09:21 AM
    How weird because a lot of people say with twins you tend to get a quicker darker positive. Yeah pregnancy tests are a waste of money. Cheapies are the best.

Jun 27, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Hi again All. I am now late on my period, still have sympoms, feel pregnant, never been late my period comes every month on the 27th. I always know when it is coming because I get cramping bad the day before but I never had that. The test still came back negetive, could I still be pregnant but just my HCG levels don't pick up on the HPT
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by katmitchell
    Hi again All. I am now late on my period, still have sympoms, feel pregnant, never been late my period comes every month on the 27th. I always know when it is coming because i get cramping bad the day before but I never had that. the test still came back negetive, could i still be pregnant but just my HCG levels dont pick up on the HPT
    You could be... if it comes on the 27th of each month, your period fluctuates a bit each cycle as the number of days shifts a bit some months. Give it several more days, or a full week if you can stand the wait, and see if your period doesn't just show up later... then try another test if need be. While most will get an accurate result once their period is late, it can sometimes take several weeks before a positive will show up on a hpt for some women, others end up needing a blood test to know for sure.

Jun 27, 2008, 01:24 PM
    I didn't get a positive until I was three weeks late. Test again next week
    scaredconfused2 Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jun 28, 2008, 12:28 AM
    Yes it is possible.. I took 4 test and it didn't show till I was at least 5 weeks late after my missed period
    nickyk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 04:09 AM
    HI katmitchell,I am late to around a month two negative.blood tests and two negative hpt"s,I am just going to sit it out and wait as have symptoms too,start taking folic acid straight away just in case you are,keep doing tests once a week might take another month everyone is different.

Jun 30, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Hi Again.
    I don't get it I was 4 days late never been late in my life, had most signs but them my period just started today I am supposed to be done it tomorrow, what would that have meant? What do I do to try again for a baby next month I was on a 31 day cycle and now what would it I am a 35 days as of today. Its so hard but me a my hub want a baby

Jun 30, 2008, 01:22 PM
    I'm sorry :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well. Could an inconclusive pregnancy result mean positive? [ 13 Answers ]

I had an inconclusive result along with 3 negatives. No period for 2 months my belly has been getting bigger and my boobs so what do u think?

I Think I'm pregnant but Negative result [ 6 Answers ]

I am 20 and on BC for five years but my last week break (end of october) my period was very light with hardly any pain which is not normal for me that making my last 'normal' period the middle of September I may have been unprotected when had tummy bug at the end sept beginning of oct and now have...

I'm 19 and I got a positive test- (kind of) I don't know if I'm pregnant or not [ 3 Answers ]

I can't get into the doctor for 5 more days, I missed my full period this month, no cramps, no sore boobes, no moodswings or cravings, nothing, but I took 3 tests and they all showed up with one full red line, and another light pink line. Is there ANY chance that I'm not pregnant?

Is this possiable? [ 2 Answers ]

So I am helping my friend research this issue and any feedbck or comments would be greatly appreciated! So in Oct. 2005 my friend used to live with her boyfriend in St. Paul Minnesota and since he didn't have any credit and needed a car she co-signed on the loan from the bank. Well they...

2 tests shown up as positive. Does this guarantee that she is pregnant? [ 6 Answers ]

Ex girlfriend claims to be pregnant and everybody now knows. Can you show up as positive in two or more tests and not actually be pregnant?

View more questions Search