Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhssooner60 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 08:52 AM
    Dachshund in heat
    Mh mini long hair just turned 6 months old ,she shows all signs of being in heat isn't this young? Can we do any thing to make more comfortable
    mhssooner60 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 08:55 AM

My mini doxie just turned 6Mths. She shows all signs of being in heat isn't this young? Is their any thing we can do to make her more comfortable or postpone until she is older?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 10:26 AM

If your doxie hasn't come into heat yet, then get her spayed immediately... Good signs of her being in heat is constant licking... very swollen and you may see tiny drops of blood. I have noticed that a dogs first heat cycle isn't always a big one... Some dogs it can be.

6 months isn't very young at all. I have heard of puppies having their first heat cycle as young as 3 months. I've also seen puppies have their first heat cycle as late as 10 months.. Either way, get her spayed.

Im not one to spay during a heat cycle. I think its harder on them for recovery... and its more expensive.

Get her checked out at a vet. They'll be able to tell you a more correct answer. Its your choice if you want to spay during a heat cycle or not.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2010, 03:21 PM

In addition to Luckys post, there isn't a lot you can do to make her more comfortable.
    She will most likely start cleaning herself a lot, and she will make a bit of mess.
    Just put an old sheet over your couch or anywhere else she sleeps/sits a lot.
    Keep her away from all other dogs for 21 days until her heat is over and then you can get her spayed so it doesn't happen again ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump never turns on, handler blows continuous with no heat except with AUX heat [ 2 Answers ]

10 year old Rheem air handler RHBA-21J8MFCA, 1/3HP, 2.8A. New WeSt Columbia, SC 29170, Model 2HP13L48P-1B, HCFC-22, 4TON. Installed new out of box iN July and AC working splendidly but start-up is "violent" and loud. Installer says I need some sort of "start-up kit". I put off as had planned...

Dachshund in heat [ 5 Answers ]

Any information on a 9 month old mini as to how long she stays in heat for the first time? Need to know ASAP!! Please help.

Dachshund in heat, 1st time [ 4 Answers ]

I have a male dachshund at 18 months old. Two weeks ago, I got a female dachshund 7 months. Old. We took her to our vet and everything was great except her vulva was swollen. Her very 1st heat. Three days later she began to bleed. Today is the? 14th? Day. I had bought her a panty which ties on both...

How Long is a dachshund in heat? [ 6 Answers ]

I just adopted a 3 1/2 year old female dachshund named Honey. I have only had her for a few days and when I adopted her she had not yet been spayed. I plan on having her spayed, but before I could get her in she started showing signs that she was in heat or is getting ready to go into heat. Can...

Dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

Last week my dog got sick with this rare hemalitic anemia sorry not sure how to spell it .the problem is that we tried to save him with blood transfusions and medicine he never made it out of the hospital 4 days of work on him the only thing they said that something triggered it off . Not sure what...

View more questions Search