Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tonya12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Bleeding pregnant cat
    My cat is pregnant or at least I think she is. She gained a lot of weight and her nipples have "pinked up" but she has a past of false pregnancies. I don't feel any kittens or movement in her belly. This is the furthest she has ever gotten. Is she pregnant? I woke up this morning and found that she was bleeding its not a lot. Should I be worried? She is eating regular and she is breathing like normal she is not panting or anything. She is really sweet and wants me to be with her I have her in the bathroom so she doesn't get blood all over the place. Is that stressful to her and could that put off her delivery? If she is going to have kittens how long do you think it will be. Please don't respond to this unless you have useful advice. If your going to say get her spayed then save it. I don't want to hear it you don't know the situation. Thank you
    Sahara_Johnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Usually pregnicy is about 63 days or 9 weeks, for a cat. 2 days before birth nipples increase and prduce milk, the tempuature will decrease and she may become very effectionit and follow you around, she may lik her self in the genitals and she may vomit, you also may notice vagital discharge,but not all sighns are the same for every cat.

This web site can help you, probably more then me!:)

Normal Labor and Delivery in the Cat
    paulanoon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Hi. I was wondering how your cat was doing. Did she have kitten? I'm asking because my cat is going through the same thing right now. Please let me know what happened. Thanks
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 25, 2008, 07:57 PM
    I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but it is a fact.

Anytime you have a cat or dog with previous false pregnancies, pregnancies in general and intact you must be aware of a condition called 'Pyometra."

Pyometra can be a life threatening infection and may even require emergency surgery. If left untreated, cats become very ill and some may not survive. With early treatment, about 90 percent of affected cats recover.

Since pyometra is an infection of the uterus, all unspayed cats are susceptible. Pyometra is uncommon in cats from September to December, when their heat cycles are at rest, but can happen in some instances.

What to Watch For:

Vaginal discharge

Lethargy

Lack of appetite

Depression

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Drinking excessive amounts of water and urinating often

In order to diagnose pyometra, your veterinarian will begin by asking you many questions to develop a complete history of the course of the disease. These questions may include:

When did the problem start?

When was your pet's last heat cycle?

Have your pet's drinking and urination habits changed recently?

Has there been any vaginal discharge and what did it look like?

What have your pet's appetite and demeanor been like?

After obtaining a medical history, your veterinarian will examine your cat completely, including checking for a fever, palpating her abdomen, and performing a vaginal exam to check for tumors or other abnormalities.

Blood tests are often submitted to look for abnormal white cell counts, which could indicate the presence of an infection and abnormalities in kidney function, which can develop secondary to a pyometra. Urine tests are also submitted to check the patient's kidney function and look for a urinary tract infection.

X-rays (radiographs) of the abdomen are taken to look for a fluid filled uterus, which is suggestive of a pyometra and an abdominal ultrasound to look for a fluid filled uterus and also to rule out an early pregnancy.

Treatment

The ideal treatment for pyometra is an ovariohysterectomy (spay). Before surgery is performed, some patients may require emergency stabilization in the form of intravenous fluids and antibiotics, especially if septic shock or kidney failure have developed.

Medical therapy alone is not recommended. There is a high recurrence rate with hormonal treatment, and there is a two-day delay in its effectiveness, which could risk the patient's life.

Home Care and Prevention

There isn't any home care for pyometra. Once treated, monitor your cat's appetite, demeanor, drinking and urination habits so that you will notice any changes. If surgery was performed, monitor the incision for normal healing.

The only way to prevent pyometra is to have your cat spayed.
    paulanoon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Im understanding what you are saying but my cat is ready to deliver anyday now. Does that still mean the same thing??
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 28, 2008, 05:48 PM
    No the first person wasn't sure if her cat was pregnant or not. However it is always a concern for any dog/cat that is unaltered. Please have her spayed asap. She can get pregnant quickly-even before the kittens have quit nursing.
    gaja Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 06:07 AM
    My dog out our urine with blood ,she is mat just 5 days but our dog body is get very lean what problem
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 06:19 AM

Sorry Gaja your question was a bit hard to understand...

Are you sayig your dog is bleeding when she urinates and has lost a lot of weight?

If so then you need to get her to the vet as soon as possible.

Both the blood and the severe weightloss are very worrying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

Cat bleeding days after giving birth [ 2 Answers ]

My Mommy cat is still bleeding from her vaginal area after giving birth to 5 kittens on January 21st... it's not really bad but she leaves droplets of blood on the floor. All her kittens were born butt first (breach) so maybe her skin tore when they were born (I had to help her with getting the...

Pregnant and bleeding [ 2 Answers ]

I am 4 weeks pregnant why am I bleeding?

Cat Bleeding [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old female, indoor cat, bleeding like she's having a period. She hasn't done this before. Is something wrong with her? Should I take her to a vet? I can't keep up with all the spots all over the carpet.. . Is there anything I can do to contain the bleeding? I thought cats...

Bleeding while pregnant... [ 2 Answers ]

I recently just had sex on the 28 of October and it was my first time. I didn't bleed that day but two days later I started bleeding like in my period. It has been bleeding for 4 days now. I'm not sure if this is because of my hymen or something else. Also is it possible for me to pregnant even...

View more questions Search