Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    griffsgirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Runt puppy not eating 1/2 the size as others!
    :( I have a griff that had 5 puppies. She only weighs 9lbs and the runt of the litter is half the size as the others. The mother keeps trying to bring the puppy to me. What can I do to help save her?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Is she trying to nurse the puppy? If so, will the puppy nurse?

Jul 22, 2007, 10:35 AM
    She does nurse but only for a little bit. I don't know if she is getting any thing out. They are four days old and she still looks the same size as when she was born

Jul 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
    I'm having to hold her to nurse.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 12:31 PM
    If it is nursing, make sure it gets plenty of chance too. Don't let the others crowd it away. If it quits nursing or the mother rejects it, you may need to bottle feed it with milk replacement formula. Cows milk won't do for puppies.

I really wonder about people that allow their dog to breed, go through a 2 month pregnancy, and only after there is a problem, start trying to learn how to care for newborn puppies. Am I to assume that you did educate yourself on common problems in Griffons, checked her pedigree to make sure she was unlikely to pass them on, plus selected a genetically different stud that was also free of problems. Is it asking too much for people to do enough to ensure breeding quality dogs? After all, we are slaughtering millions of dogs a year for lack of homes.

Jul 22, 2007, 03:14 PM
    I did take both of the dogs to the vet and had them examined. She also had x-rays done to tell me how many puppies there was and had her checked to see if she could have them naturally or c- section. I have spoke with the vet yesterday and she said to make sure she was nursing. They are not open today and she looks like she is not gaining any weight. I bought the formula and she is not taking it. So that's why I was asking on here to see if there was anything else I could do. The other four puppies are very healthy. I take very good care of my dogs. Not to be judged by you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy runt [ 11 Answers ]

My pitbull Nina delivered 6 Puppies on 10/25/06 5 Of them are doing well the runt is not doing to well he is a lot smaller than the other puppies very weak and constantly crying,and or whining while sleeping. I have been bottle feeding him Esbilac but he does not drink much. I'm worried about the...

Is my puppy eating too much? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My 3 month old cocker spaniel (English) puppy, Phoenix, is about 4 kgs and we feed him 4 times a day. He eats 1 1/2 cups Pedigree puppy food and 1 cup minced beef/boiled chicken mixed in with a cup of rice and veg split into 4 meals. I worry he may not be eating enough because he gobbles his...

My puppy eating [ 1 Answers ]

12/9/06 adopted a lab/hound mix 8 weeks puppy. Came home was eating and drinking fine, but today she is not eating. She seems to be playful and is doing her duties but is not eating. Is this something I should be worried about? Your answer is much appreciated.

Runt puppy very small [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 week old litter of labrador puppies. Most of them weigh about five pounds. Our smallest only weighs 2 1/2 pounds. He only nurses for a few minutes and then falls asleep. He will not take a bottle or drink from a bowl. The other pups are eating moistened food now. The vet is keeping a...

Runt not Eating? [ 2 Answers ]

My cat just had kittens (January 13th); five beauties. Most of the kittens are doing well, but one kitty (Cloud) is just smaller than the rest. S/he doesn't seem to eat as much, is much more smaller than the rest in terms of weight, and is much more active (I think Cloud will also be the first to...

View more questions Search