Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raven Rayne Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2013, 08:41 AM
    We are not going to go to that Vet any longer. Here are the reasons...
    1. The Vet diagnosed her wrong
    2. Refused to do any other testing to back up what he thought
    3. Made me feel like a horrible person I front of my child
    4. Praises are ridiculous
    5. Some of the staff also gave me crap about not doing the surgery right then while I was checking out

The new Vet clinic we found
    1. Vet kind and helpful
    2. Staff makes a point to greet your animal and make then feel comfortable
    3. Do multiple tests to diagnose
    4. Doesn't charge an arm and a leg for treatment
    5. While explaining things they make sure that you understand everything completely before they leave you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 19, 2013, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Rayne View Post
    We are not going to go to that Vet any longer. Here are the reasons...
    1. The Vet diagnosed her wrong
    2. Refused to do any other testing to back up what he thought
    3. Made me feel like a horrible person I front of my child
    4. Praises are ridiculous
    5. Some of the staff also gave me crap about not doing the surgery right then while I was checking out

The new Vet clinic we found
    1. Vet kind and helpful
    2. Staff makes a point to greet your animal and make then feel comfortable
    3. Do multiple tests to diagnose
    4. Doesn't charge an arm and a leg for treatment
    5. While explaining things they make sure that you understand everything completely before they leave you.
    You're very lucky to have found this new vet. :)

Oct 21, 2013, 04:35 AM
    So last night we noticed that Raven has colostrum developing in at least 4 of her nipples. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not since she still would have 18 days left to go. This dog will be the death of me! :(

Also... On a funny note... In live in Ohio and it got seriously cold here last night (37 degrees)... Well last night Raven was making ALL kinds of noises and thumping around. I woke up looked over the bed and here Raven had pushed all her blankets up against my bed and had threw herself around enough that she got one of the blankets over her back to cover her up. She saw me looking for her and she put her head down till just her muzzle was showing. What gave her location away was her huge tail thumping on the floor. Lol she's great.
    Today when my husband left for work (I was doing the doggie rotation of morning potty breaks) Raven got REALLY upset that her daddy left without her. She cried as her walked to the truck, whined even louder when her got in it, then growled at him as he was pulling out of the driveway. I looked at her and said "really Raven?" She looked at me, sneezed turned and faced me and then barked at me like she was yelling at me. Poor girl. Now she snuggling in my bed with my daughter who's attempting to put her arm around Ravens tummy.
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 04:30 PM
    Also... On a funny note... In live in Ohio and it got seriously cold here last night (37 degrees)... Well last night Raven was making ALL kinds of noises and thumping around. I woke up looked over the bed and here Raven had pushed all her blankets up against my bed and had threw herself around enough that she got one of the blankets over her back to cover her up. She saw me looking for her and she put her head down till just her muzzle was showing. What gave her location away was her huge tail thumping on the floor. Lol she's great.
    Today when my husband left for work (I was doing the doggie rotation of morning potty breaks) Raven got REALLY upset that her daddy left without her. She cried as her walked to the truck, whined even louder when her got in it, then growled at him as he was pulling out of the driveway. I looked at her and said "really Raven?" She looked at me, sneezed turned and faced me and then barked at me like she was yelling at me. Poor girl. Now she snuggling in my bed with my daughter who's attempting to put her arm around Ravens tummy.
    You really should start writing all your Raven stories down, make a book out of it. I usually hate reading long posts, even though I'm known for them, but yours I read. They make me smile. I can picture everything you're talking about as if I were there. Of course it helps that I also have dogs, and some of the things they've done, that's a book in and of itself as well.

Our dog Indy (RIP) once at a leather work glove. We rushed him to the vet, vet said nothing was lodged, it will pass when it's ready. It did, one finger of the glove at a time, all filled with... well, you can guess.

He also at my sons super huge rainbow colored plastic bouncy ball that my parents bought him. That bowel movement was in my parents yard. It looked like Easter, all the pretty colors, mixed with... well, you can guess.

Dogs, they make our lives interesting.

The colostrum, to me, would be a sign that this is not a false pregnancy, but again, a dog going through a false pregnancy will show all the signs of a real one, so I'd still get the x-ray.

Oct 21, 2013, 04:46 PM
    Oh my goodness! Lol I prob would have peed my pants watching a dog poo out a glove. Lol
    And the Easter egg, oh my, the jokes I would have played on my kids! "Hey kids Easter came early this year!! First one to pick up the egg gets to keep it!!!" Lol When I read that I giggled and my husband said "an iPad can't be funny, why are you laughing?" I told him that I was reading a post and he shook his head and said " you have a sad life, maybe you spend to much time with the dogs. Your easily amused" lol sad, but true. That was almost the highlight of my day.
    The highlight was... My daughter and I stayed in bed and cuddled Raven till around 11 and we opened my door to go to the back door to start letting dogs out and there was a bird flying in my house! My pit could have cared less, Raven was scared to death, and the Lab was trying to catch it out of the air! It took me 20 minutes just to shoo the bird out the door!
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 05:03 PM
    Please tell me the bird lived. I have two birds. My border collie would definitely eat them if he was ever given the chance. The beagle, he ignores them. He also ignores the rabbits (I have 4) which is odd. He's a beagle, they're bred to hunt rabbits.

Your husband should join the site, trust me, he'll get a laugh or two. He'll also have a moment or two when he'll want to bang his head on a wall while saying "There's no way anyone could be this ignorant". We get a lot of posts that make you want to cry. Thankfully, yours isn't one of them. :)

Your entire family, and I include the dogs, because they're family, all fur babies are, are very lucky to have such a wonderful mom. You truly are an inspiration, and I don't say that lightly. Too many people have posted on this site about breeding their dogs, with absolutely no idea what they're in for, with no regard for the dogs, only for money, and I really wish I could reach through my monitor and slap them.

You truly are a breath of fresh air, and I really hope that there are puppies, and that we get tons and tons of pictures when they're born.

I know I could never breed, I would never be able to give up the pups. I'd keep each and every one. Heck, there was a spider in our house last week. I named it. After that, it became ours. It died. I actually cried. It was a spider!

Oct 21, 2013, 05:11 PM
    Yes, I mad sure that the bird lived. It was a red headed wood pecker and at times I thought he was going to kill me! Good thing I'm only 5 foot tall. (Shah don't tell anyone) My husband plays something called Playstation Home on the ps3. It's like Sims but every avi is a real person. I'm to ADD for it. I get bored quickly.
    Thank you very much for your kind words. That really meant a lot to me. I posted the same question on another site and the only responses I'm getting are very rude. I may only be 30 but I've been through so much with animals. I've even been dumb enough to stick my whole arm in the back end of a really big cow just to straighten a calves leg out properly so it could be born. (That was awkward lol)
    I'm so glad that you decided to add a response to my post. It's been a pleasure chatting with you. ;)

Oh and by the way... When I decided I had enough info on breeding Raven the first words that came from my husband was " really? You think you can handle 2 big dogs and 2 REALLY big dogs? I know you'll end up keeping one, I'm not dumb " lol
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 05:23 PM
    Oh and by the way... When I decided I had enough info on breeding Raven the first words that came from my husband was " really? You think you can handle 2 big dogs and 2 REALLY big dogs? I know you'll end up keeping one, I'm not dumb " lol
    LOL! So you do plan to keep one? I would! Heck, I'd keep all of them. That's why I don't breed.

I'm planning on breeding my birds. It's actually not something I really want to do, even though I was raised knowing everything I possibly can about birds, and breeding them(my Opa was a bird breeder). I'm breeding them to save my female. She's actually the reason I got my male, who I also fell in love with.

See she keeps laying eggs, 6 or more a month. Eventually all this egg laying will kill her. If she has a batch, she'll likely only have one a year. Much better than laying a batch of duds every month. Also, there aren't many cockatiels available where I am, so there is a demand for them. Still, when I made this decision, my husband started to look for cheap cages, because the first words out of his mouth were "Great, so we went from one bird, to two, and now possibly dozens?" He knows me too well.

Oct 21, 2013, 05:30 PM
    I actually was looking into buying a cockatiel for my daughter, but here they cost $175-200 depending on color. And all the ones we have seen in pet stores almost look sick. So that was a no go. My aunt has a bunch of the large birds. Amazons, African Grey, Parrot... All biters! They mean business too! But they are very good talkers. She also has a pair of love birds that have eggs all the time but they never hatch. Her house is too loud for me. Lol
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 05:40 PM
    I actually was looking into buying a cockatiel for my daughter, but here they cost 5-200 depending on color. And all the ones we have seen in pet stores almost look sick. So that was a no go. My aunt has a bunch of the large birds. Amazons, African Grey, Parrot... All biters! They mean business too! But they are very good talkers. She also has a pair of love birds that have eggs all the time but they never hatch. Her house is too loud for me. Lol
    Cockatiels are loud. One of the things I love about Marty (my female) is that she's not a squawker. Bo (the male) only squawks when the microwave beeps. Other than that, he's a singer. But he's not at all tame. He's terrified of humans.

Both were rescues of a sort. Marty was hand raised, is very very very tame. She's a love. A guy my husband works with paid a small fortune for her, for his son, only to find out that his son is allergic. So he asked if we'd take her. Of course I said yes. Bo (the male) was a breeding male, then his mate died. He went into deep depression. So the guy that owned him gave him to a lady from his church who had two cockatiels. She didn't separate them, just threw Bo into the cage with a bonded pair. Bad idea! They almost killed him.

At this time I was looking for a male for Marty, because of the constant egg laying. Our pet stores don't even carry cockatiels, so I went to the humane society, told them what I was looking for and why. They rarely get cockatiels, but when they do, they don't let anyone that's thinking of breeding, adopt. So that was a dead end. I posted an ad on Kijiji that I was looking for a male cockatiel. Within a day I got a response, went to meet Bo, fell in love, and brought him home.

That was many many many, in winter, months ago. I have yet to put them in the same cage. I'm afraid. They whistle to each other, they kiss each other through the bars on their cages (they're side by side), the sleep as close as they can get to each other. But I'm afraid that as soon as I put them in the same cage, it will all go bad. I want them to have a companion. I also want to save Marty. In the same token, it's really a bit scary to think about raising baby cockatiels. If one of them dies, I'd be heartbroken. This is why I don't breed. But in this case, I don't have much of a choice, and I know I'll be able to find them good homes.

Marty is all yellow, a very rare color. Bo is a normal grey. From what I've researched, all the females they have should be Marty's coloring. I plan to hand raise after 4 months (before that is too stressful on the babies).

I'd be totally willing to give you one, no cost at all. The only problem for me would be getting the birdy baby to you. I'm in Canada. I would never ship a bird. If you could make it to my place, you have the pick of the crop, you can even take two. That is if I ever get them together. :)

Oct 21, 2013, 05:54 PM
    I'll look into getting a passport ;)
    I'm def going to keep a pup from Raven, not sure yet if it'll be a male or a female. I've been reading mixed things. And also I have to see what would be best for my 10 years old female pit. She's usually not into liking female dogs but deals with Raven. However they do have their "lovers fights" as I call them. We aren't sure how much longer our pit will be around. She has had arthritis for 3 yrs now watching her in the colder months makes me cry for her. Poor girl, she's been the best dog we have ever had. Drives me nuts when people talk bad about the pit breed. It's not all of them just a select few. Since I have been volunteering at our local Humane Society and the Dog Shelter the "vicious"
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 06:29 PM
    I'll look into getting a passport ;)
    I'm def going to keep a pup from Raven, not sure yet if it'll be a male or a female. I've been reading mixed things. And also I have to see what would be best for my 10 years old female pit. She's usually not into liking female dogs but deals with Raven. However they do have their "lovers fights" as I call them. We aren't sure how much longer our pit will be around. She has had arthritis for 3 yrs now watching her in the colder months makes me cry for her. Poor girl, she's been the best dog we have ever had. Drives me nuts when people talk bad about the pit breed. It's not all of them just a select few. Since I have been volunteering at our local Humane Society and the Dog Shelter the "vicious"
    I love all breeds. I can say that I would likely never get a pit, not because of the hype, it's just not a breed I'd want. Mainly because we have a small house, and a small backyard, and they're really big dogs. I'd never get a dane either, for the same reason. Love the breeds, just don't fit with my lifestyle right now.

Our neighbor has a pit. We recently had a neighborhood party, we live in a cul-de-sac. She brought her pit out. He's gorgeous. He's all grey, and his head, wow, it's huge! He's massive! He's such a lovey.

I'm more a medium breed type person, mainly because I feel guilty having a large breed in our tiny space. :(

Oct 21, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Great Danes are actually well suited for small spaces. As long as they are properly exercised they are mostly couch potatoes. The only downfall (minus the size of their poo) is that when they do bark it's so deep that you can feel it in your chest. Lol Ravens a little over 2 and she still makes me jump every time she barks.
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 07:15 PM
    Great Danes are actually well suited for small spaces. As long as they are properly exercised they are mostly couch potatoes. The only downfall (minus the size of their poo) is that when they do bark it's so deep that you can feel it in your chest. Lol Ravens a little over 2 and she still makes me jump every time she barks.
    Ah, the bark. You haven't heard an annoying bark until you've had a beagle.

Trust me on this.

The beagle bark, it makes people insane.

This isn't my beagle, and this beagle isn't near as barky or howly as mine, but this will give you a very little idea on how they are.

2 beagles howling at a bumble bee - YouTube

All day, every day! Just saying. ;)

Oct 21, 2013, 07:25 PM
    Oh my! Raven went crazy because of that! LOL it was too funny! She jumped up out of a sound sleep, ran to me and tried to sniff my iPad, then when she wasn't getting anything from that she took her large head and knocked it right out of my hand then stood on it! Hahaha She better like puppy cries :(
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 07:32 PM
    Oh my! Raven went crazy because of that! LOL it was too funny! She jumped up out of a sound sleep, ran to me and tried to sniff my iPad, then when she wasn't getting anything from that she took her large head and knocked it right out of my hand then stood on it! Hahaha She better like puppy cries :(
    LOL! Puppies won't bother her at all. Beagles are unique in their barking. They can actually make 3 different vocal sounds, the only breed that can. All three make you want to pull your hair out. ;)

They have a unique vocal chamber. The beagle bay is the most popular. Your neighbors will love it. I know mine do (sarcasm).

Oct 21, 2013, 08:00 PM
    Iol My neighbors have a herd of coon hounds down the lane at the old farm house. They use them to track down the coyotes.
    Btw! I THINK that I just MIGHT have felt a puppy! I was rubbing her belly in a circular motion and stopped my hand on one of her "bumps" and felt a little "flutter"!

Oct 23, 2013, 04:30 PM
    So Raven has been moaning a lot the past couple of days, getting up, laying down.. I laugh and my husband is the one that sticks up for her "don't laugh you gained 86 lbs with your last baby and were like a stuck turtle if you laid on your back" lol I still find it funny. She has slept most of the day away today but is eating and drinking as much as an elephant. Btw... There's 6 puppies!
    Pets Expert

Oct 23, 2013, 05:03 PM
    So Raven has been moaning a lot the past couple of days, getting up, laying down.. I laugh and my husband is the one that sticks up for her "don't laugh you gained 86 lbs with your last baby and were like a stuck turtle if you laid on your back" lol I still find it funny. She has slept most of the day away today but is eating and drinking as much as an elephant. Btw... There's 6 puppies!
    OMG! That's such great news! Six puppies! That's wonderful. I can't wait to see them.

The next time your husband jokes about when you were pregnant, remind him that your pregnancy was 9 months. Ravens is a lot shorter. :)

Oct 23, 2013, 05:11 PM
    I told him that me getting pregnant wasn't my fault, I was sleeping.

15 more VERY long days to wait to see my grand-fur babies! I'm completely excited! I'll prob have to take a Benadryl just to go to sleep. Now it's crunch time for me to learn even more than I already do to help this go smoothly. I have a ton a questions that I'm getting conflicting answers for though so it discouraging me. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant great dane [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all my name is evelyn I am great dane obssesed, my danes are currently pregnant ( I have 2 danes one piebald boston female and a male blue merle harlequin ) expecting in a week or so, and was wondeing if anyone had any tips for helping me get my baby girl through this with out too much trauma

Is my great dane pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old female great dane. I noticed yesterday that her nipples were enlarged and she has been acting very lovingly. Also her vulva is enlarged a little. She has not been spayed and was in heat about 55 days ago. We watch her extensively while she is out and about just because she is...

Great Dane Pregnancy! [ 2 Answers ]

Want to know how to find out if my Great Dane is pregnant, well she is not eating and I think the male might have got to her when I wasn't around for a few hours, but her nipples are swollen and there are small signs of milk leakage, just need to know since this was not planned it was suppose to be...

View more questions Search