Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frmrphotog Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 11:33 AM
    Thie is a financial question
    I expect to retire Spring of 2011 when I turn 66, but spring of this year (at 65) I will begin to draw a Teamsters pension of about $1300.00 monthly. Where shall I put that money for the next several months to lessen my tax burden for next year. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 12:09 PM

Do you think you'll need the money in the next year, once you retire? If so, then I suggest you just park it in either cash or a short-term bond fund. If you can let it sit for a few years, you might want to think about funding an IRA - you can invest up to $6K this year - $12K if you fund an IRA for your wife. If you invest in a traditional IRA the amount you invest is deducted from your income for tax purposes, so you effectively pay no tax on your contribution.
    frmrphotog Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 12:14 PM

Thank you for the info. As I begin to collect these funds May of this year (2010), I won't actually need to live on these funds until May of next year (2011) when I retire fully

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financial Accounting Homework Question! [ 6 Answers ]

Here's the question: "The following stockholders' equity accounts are in the ledger of McGrath Corp. at December 31, 2005: Common Stock ($10 stated value) $1,500,000 Paid-in-Capital from Treasury STock 6,000 Paid-in-Capital...

Need to know thie name of this song [ 2 Answers ]

... it's a male singer, category would be slowish easy listening love song and it goes something like ' Baby, whenever I want you, whenever I need you, if you would only let it be, Ohhhhh Baby whenever... https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images/smilies/confused.gif and so on. I know it's not much...

Multi-Part Financial Management Question! Please HELP! [ 9 Answers ]

Ok guys, I had this as an accounting group project with 1 other member, and she conveniently dropped the class a week ago! So now I'm stuck! Any help would be DEEEPLY APPRECIATED! Background: You have been retained by the professional services firm, Dewey Cheatum & How to provide...

View more questions Search