Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OndLei Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 06:42 PM
    401k early withdrawal - spouse disabled
    We took an early withdrawal on my 401k in 2008. My spouse became disabled and we needed the money for medical & living expenses. Since the account was in my name but my spouse is the one that became disabled, do we qualify for the exception? :confused:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 06:52 PM

Unfortunately no -- the exception applies if you (the 401(k) account owner) are completely and permanently disabled. Having a spouse who is disabled does not eliminate the early withdrawal penalty on a withdrawal from your account.
    OndLei Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 07:03 PM

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal if spouse is 59 and 1/2 [ 1 Answers ]

Does the IRS waive the withdrawal penalty if the spouse of the holder of the 401k is 59 1/2 and the holder is not, if a joint return is filed?

Early withdrawal of 401K or IRA? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I am needing to take a withdraw to assist me in paying for my health premium (COBRA) and the co-payments, deductibles, etc. associated with my medical expnses. I am currently receiving unemployment benefits, but it is certainly impossible to pay for all of my medical expenses with the...

Early 401k Withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

I know that early 401k withdrawals are subject to a 10% penalty and income taxes in your current tax bracket. But is the income treated as earned income. Do you pay social security taxes Medicare taxes on it? Also is if this would be my only income, do I still get to claim the standard deduction...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401K early withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of getting a divorce and I will have to give my spouse some of my 401K. I know that I will have to pay 20% in taxes and a 10% withdrawal fee when it is distributed to him. He will not roll it over since he needs the money to pay his debts. My question is if I'm in a 28% tax...

View more questions Search