Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    captronfla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Taking advantage of the elderly!
    Please advise what can be done about professionals taking advantage of my mother. My mom is 81 years old and hasn't had the best looking teeth for many years, discoloration,caps ,crowns etc. She recently went to a dentist to see about a chipped tooth and one crooked tooth. This dentist told her to go next door to see his buddy about doing some perio work first, she had no symptoms of pain,swelling,discomfort etc. After charging her a lot for this work they referred her to another buddy for ortho consult. They decided to put my poor mother in braces for two or three years because the months that went by allowed her once straight teeth to shift towards her crooked tooth and what was one crooked tooth turned into many front teeth moving out of place. If the tooth was secured from the beginning the now mouth full of teeth would have been fine. I think this group of doctors may be in violation of some kind of ethics? A woman in not great health ,and no reason to pursure the perfect smile ,who is 81 years old and can't seem to disagree with so called professionals.And now that she can barely eat solid food because they thought it was a good idea to sell her many thousands of dollars of questionable work. There was no mention of dentures of because then they can't make any more cash. We feel that after the teeth were allowing to move into a very crooked state that this option may have been the best for her and she agrees. Which way do I pursure this?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 07:22 AM
    They could have put her in braces because her bite was unstable, not to get her a perfect smile. As far as the ethics go, I'm not sure there's much that can be done if she consented to all the work. Also, why is she unable to eat solid food? If it's because of the pain of the braces, that will pass.

You can always go and consult with other orthos/dentists and perios to see what they say about her case. You can also make an appointment with her existing doctors and ask them to explain the treatment plan to you in detail so you fully understand why they have pursued this course of treatment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother In Law taking advantage of us [ 8 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I love each other very much and we have a wonderful little boy called Alex who is now three (I am 34 and she is 25). Her mum looked after Alex for well over a year as both of us worked. We paid her £300pcm for that as she had bus fares to pay for from her house to ours, which she...

Is he taking advantage of someone younger? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I want to start by briefly introducing myself. I am a first year at college and have never had a boyfriend. During high school, I've only had two guys that showed a little bit of interest in me, but it never went any further. I've only had my first kiss this past summer, and did even a...

Is he taking advantage of me? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. I have been dating a man for 3.5 years. I cannot see any real inventment this man is willing to make in our relationship other than he does spend time with me. I recently lost all my child support so I am very strapped financially. I asked if he would like to move into my home with me so we...

How do I make him stop taking advantage [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with the same guy for 7 years. I know that he is not using me for sex because our sex life is not that active. I do think/know he takes advantage of my kindness and of me finanically. How do I stop this from happening. I am a nice person by nature and would do almost anything to make...

Taking advantage or what? [ 10 Answers ]

So I got this job a little over 3 months ago through a temp agency, when I interviewed they said I would be a receptionist/ admin assist. I do NOT do any reception or admin assist. I am in the shipping dept. handling mail and shipping and receiving. When I started working they offered me $13, which...

View more questions Search