Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larryman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Doctor bill. Pay or not pay
    I was working through workers comp claim. I was sent by my Dr to a Dr to treat me for depression. After I received a bill from the Psychologist telling me that my insurance was not paying for the bill and that it was my responsibility to pay her, I then stopped seeing her. Now I am being taken to court for full payment. $1800.00 worth. I told her that if you would have told me that my insurance company declined my coverage, I would have stopped right away. I was not told any thing till the bill was run up to the $1800.00. I agreed to pay for the first visit and then pay half. She has turned down both and wants full payment. I was not told that my insurance was not going to pay for this bill till it reached the $1800.00 mark. What's your suggestion. Thanks
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 8, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Yeah srinks are the worst about these things.
    Try submitting the bill directly to the insurance co. usually in comp cases if the Dr. orders it they will pay. But often the Dr. will know that something like dep. Is caused by the injury but won't directly link it as a responsibility of the comp co. Call a lawyer these kind won't charge to talk over the phone. You may be eligible for more money. This really helps your depression huh?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
    While you can still try and get the money back from your insurance, esp if your doctor ordered it. Sorry but they have no obligation to tell you that insurance is or is not paying and they may not even know for a month after a bill is sumitted , someitmes longer.

And when you go to the doctor and agree to see them, you agree to pay them in full if the insurance does not pay, so if they take you to court they will win.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Fr_Chuck is right, you have an obligation to pay the doctor if insurance does not cover you. Your doctor did nothing wrong so why woud you think you should not pay. The service was requested by you and the service was rendered. I would however keep hounding workmans comp. They are a type of insurance and when they err it isn't on your side. You should get your first doctor to call workmans and state that he send you to(prescribed) the other doctor. Chances are they refused because it is a psychologist and not a psychiatrist.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Yes you may want to look at getting an attorney to help with your insurance payments
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 6, 2012, 05:41 PM
    If the treatment was directly related to your Worker's Comp incident, then pay the psychologist then submit the bill to the insurance carrier that is paying for the medical treatment for the injury.Get some documentation from the referring doctor. You should have inquired about your insurance if you had not heard anything by the thirst session. There is a certain amount of personal responsibility when seeing doctors, using credit cards, taking out loans, etc. Just "letting things go" is usually not a way to exist. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay myself [ 1 Answers ]

I am part owner of a small business in Texas. I'm trying to figure out how to pay myself a salary. Can somebody please explain how this works and the associated tax considerations?

I Used E/Check for bill pay- [ 1 Answers ]

WHen I tried to make a payment for my phone bill,I did so online,using bill pay.I tried to pay 196_and change, and wrongly entered $1,939.00 and thought I had corrected the amount,but directly decided to make the second payment.. and make it even $200.00,Both payments authorized and now are posted...

Who is it better to pay? [ 2 Answers ]

A attorney for a collection agency got me the validation of several medical bills. So who is it better to pay? The attorney, the collection agency or the original medical places? I would like to pay the original medical places, and send a letter to the attorney and collection agency saying that...

Pay [ 2 Answers ]

Can an employer change your wage every time he desides he wants to like take you off your pay and change it to piece work, and than change it to a forced sub contractor and say your making too much money so now you can no longer be a sub and put you back on hourly

Will I have to pay? [ 10 Answers ]

Background... I have lived in an upstairs apartment for about 6 months and the first day the down stairs neighbor told me that the guy who lived above him was noisey and 'slamed' around weights in his apartment and that he could hear it. Two days after I moved in (the day the movers came) the...

View more questions Search