Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vixalin Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Possession of Cocaine in New Brunswick, Canada
    I have a friend that was charged with possession of a small amount of cocaine about 8 or 9 years ago in New Brunswick, Canada. He went into rehab before the court date and the court was notified. He has not answered this charge in all these years but was told at the time by the then chief of police it could be dropped as he was not the one they were after in the first place.
    Does anyone know what the original sentence could have been for this and what might be the out come now if he goes back to face it? Is there a statute of Limitations for such cases in Canada. He is by the way a Canadian citizen.
    Thank You
    Vixalin
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Hello Vix:

Below is an answer I gave just the other day. One of our Canadian experts verified what I said.

-----------------------------

Hello poker:

I don't know if the laws in Canada are the same as the US on statutes of limitations, but in the US, the statute of limitations runs from the time they discover a crime until someone is charged. You were charged. If a warrant is issued for a particular individual, that warrant never expires.

excon
    Vixalin Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Thank you for the response.
    Just to clarify for me. Your saying that because he was arrested and charged but didn't go to the court date that there is no limit on the time for adjudication? Is that the idea?
    Thanks again
    Vixalin
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 01:11 PM
    The only possible grounds to throw this case out is a Charter issue in that fact he did not have a speedy trial.

However, given your friend's case I don't think that will work due to the fact the trial was delayed because of him and he never went back.

But, if he goes back now (WITH a lawyer), and he can probably settle all this with just probation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canada [ 3 Answers ]

What's is another name for Canada's legislure?

Tenant took possession of house now wants out &refund deposit &rent [ 2 Answers ]

My Tenant Signed A Lease Beginning Feb 15 ,asked For Early Move In On Feb 10 , I Agreed Without Charging Her For Extra Days.we Met At The House On Feb 7. She Signed Lease Gave Funds And I Had Her Inspect The House For Repairs Knowing We Were Still Working On The House. Her List Wes Very Detailed,...

Canada [ 1 Answers ]

What two bodies are the canada's legislature divided into

Cocaine [ 2 Answers ]

Are there user benefits from the drug crack cocaine? All information would be helpful.

View more questions Search