Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shayb17 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Post bankruptcy, how to build credit
    My bankruptcy has just gone through. Now how do I build credit? I've applied for credit cards but am not approved. My car is paid off and the only other bills I have are things that don't get reported. HELP!
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jul 22, 2009, 05:42 PM

Let me see if I am understanding you right, You say you have gone through bankruptcy and you are applying for credit cards again? Slow down the last thing you need is to jump back on the credit card bandwagon. It will take time
    How long ago was your bk discharged?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 05:53 PM

What in gods name is going though your mind ?
    You don't apply for credit cards, you just got out of debt.
    In fact you learn to live without them forever, or have one that you only use a little and always pay off each month.

So why even worry, pay cash, save up to buy things.

Jul 22, 2009, 06:22 PM

Fr._Chuck is so right! You need to pay cash for things and STAY away from credit cards!
    I have never had a credit card and I have always paid cash,its not hard in fact its easy cause when the money's gone from your pocket,well its gone and you have to wait until next payday. I was brought up that way!
    I also paid cash for a car by putting back a percentage of my paychcek each week and only buying what I needed, not what I wanted
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 06:28 PM

The trouble with debt, credit card companies know that people who file bankrutpcy are normally poor money managers ( maybe not you of course) but there are high risk cards with large up front fees, one will give you about 250 credit, but you pay about 180 dollars in fees to get the card.
    shayb17 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2009, 10:30 AM

Its not that I need a card, I need to build credit and it's the only way I can think of is to get a card and pay it off every month to build credit. That's my question is How to build credit after a bankruptcy?

Jul 24, 2009, 01:06 PM

It takes a while, it is a slow process. I know of people 3 years out from bk and are still having trouble with their credit or if they are offered credit the interest rate is so high that its not even worth it, start slowley and go from there

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to build credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 40ish never had a credit card,the only thing I have against me is child support. What is the best way for me to start and build my credit, Thanks in advance!

Build credit [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to build my credit score, how can I have small balance charge off removed from credit report, also too many inquiries are on my report that I need to have removed. Please help ASAP, Thanks

How can I build credit after chapter 7? [ 1 Answers ]

Does reaffirmation of an auto loan build credit?:confused:

Build Credit? How? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 19 and am in my first year of living on my own. I have been thinking about buying a new car, but the problem is I have NO credit. I have been approved for loans, but the interest rate is ridiculous! I don't want to get a credit card because everyone older and wiser than me says it I'm just...

View more questions Search