Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WayTooMuch Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Is there a ceiling?
    Is there is cap or a ceiling to how much child support a noncustodial parent can pay?

I know all states has their formula to set child and medical supports, many times based on both parents' income. It is fair to say, the more a noncustodial parent makes, the more the custodial parent will get?

Example:

If a noncustodial parent is set to pay $1,750/month now for one child based on a $15,000/month income, then what happens when this same parent makes $30,000/month? I can't see how a one child general expenses (insurance, day care, food and shelter) can be in need of $3,500/month?! Can we say a new car payment or shopping spree for the custodial parent? There's got to be a ceiling right?!
    MomWontGiveUp Posts: 179, Reputation: 9

Jul 19, 2009, 03:43 PM

There was a HUGE discussion on Dr. Phil about this after he had an Ex NBA star on his show who was ordered to pay crazy amounts of child support to several women (he fathered several children with several different women). You might be able to find the thread if you search for "Dead Beat Dads or Dead Broke?"

As far as I know, child support does not automatically go up when the income of one parent changes. Someone needs to petition for a modification of child support in order for that to happen. But... here's another example:

Let's say the CP files for a modification based on their *belief* the NCP is making $30,000/mo (using your numbers). The NCP will get a letter from the enforcing agency and will have X number of days to respond. The burden of proof will be on the NCP to show that they are NOT making $30,000/mo. As the CP has alleged. If the NCP does not respond (BAD IDEA), the CP will win by default and the new support will be based on the alleged income.

Also - if the NCP loses that $15,000/mo. Job through no fault of their own, the existing order will continue at the amount set based on the $15,000/mo. UNTIL the NCP petitions the court for a downward motion (let's say they were able to find another job, but it only paid $10,000/mo.) It's possible to get the downward motion, but sometimes very difficult, depending on the caseworker, judge, and how hard the CP will fight to maintain the current support.

Keep in mind too - any time you need to file something with the court, it will take time to process. In other words, there will be delays :(

*EDIT*
    I forgot to add that the maximum should be specified in the state child support calculation guidelines. In Oregon, they can take up to 60% *I think* and up to 65% if you're paying for multiple children with multiple CP's. They have to leave you (get this) $953 for self support. They take this "self-support" off the top when figuring "income available for support" and calc from there.

Jul 19, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MomWontGiveUp View Post
    There was a HUGE discussion on Dr. Phil about this after he had an Ex NBA star on his show who was ordered to pay crazy amounts of child support to several women (he fathered several children with several different women). You might be able to find the thread if you search for "Dead Beat Dads or Dead Broke?"

As far as I know, child support does not automatically go up when the income of one parent changes. Someone needs to petition for a modification of child support in order for that to happen. But... here's another example:

Let's say the CP files for a modification based on their *belief* the NCP is making $30,000/mo (using your numbers). The NCP will get a letter from the enforcing agency and will have X number of days to respond. The burden of proof will be on the NCP to show that they are NOT making $30,000/mo. as the CP has alleged. If the NCP does not respond (BAD IDEA), the CP will win by default and the new support will be based on the alleged income.

Also - if the NCP loses that $15,000/mo. job through no fault of their own, the existing order will continue at the amount set based on the $15,000/mo. UNTIL the NCP petitions the court for a downward motion (let's say they were able to find another job, but it only paid $10,000/mo.) It's possible to get the downward motion, but sometimes very difficult, depending on the caseworker, judge, and how hard the CP will fight to maintain the current support.

Keep in mind too - any time you need to file something with the court, it will take time to process. In other words, there will be delays :(
    Yes, a modification for support is always necessary and I can see how a NCP needs to pay an insane amount of child support if you have "hoes in differenct area codes" (it's a song), but for one child though?

If the CP continues to modify for support annually and if the NCP income increases every year, is there a ceiling to pay for just one kid? There's got to be! I'm sure it all varies from state to state!

Jul 19, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WayTooMuch View Post
    Yes, a modification for support is always necessary and I can see how a NCP needs to pay an insane amount of child support if you have "hoes in differenct area codes" (it's a song), but for one child though?

If the CP continues to modify for support annually and if the NCP income increases every year, is there a ceiling to pay for just one kid?! There's got to be! I'm sure it all varies from state to state!
    Search and read through your state guidelines. Many of this information should be posted there. Also - the court isn't going to like reviewing support orders frequently and the increase has to be significant enough for them to bother. I'm speaking from what I know in the Oregon courts, but I was told that if my income went up 2%, the court isn't going to want to bother with running the numbers again. The increase would be so minute, it would be a waste of their time
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 04:05 PM

There are not really max amounts, but you can request a deviation from the forumla if you can prove it is not needed.

What you are forgetting, a person making 40,000 a month, that family is used to a different life style, and child support is suppose to help keep the child at a standard of living they are used to.

Jul 19, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    There are not really max amounts, but you can request a deviation from the forumla if you can prove it is not needed.

What you are forgetting, a person making 40,000 a month, that family is used to a different life style, and child support is suppose to help keep the child at a standard of living they are used to.
    Agrees - that's how the court sees it. They want the child(ren) to have as little adverse affect as possible.

Jul 19, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You're assuming if a couple gets a divorce and the child in question is "used to the lifestyle" prior to the divorce.

I'm talking about CP and NCP never was married, child had always been with the CP living a moderate average American lifestyle (no MTV Cribs or anything), and the NCP makes a lot more than the CP.

I just can't seem to swallow $3000+ per month for just one child for support!! Ridiculous! It's like that child now has an income that is more than 65% of the adult US working population! Or at least the CP will.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 05:04 PM

In many states there is a ceiling on how high child support can be. In some there is no ceiling. It all depends on where you live. Irregaurdless the federal maximum for child support is 50%. The states are not allowed to go over that amount. The only offset is arrears and then the limit is 60% of gross or down to poverty line.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Child support is about making a child's living equal in both parents' environment, it is capped at a certain percentage, but if one parent is making an exhorbant amount of money, paying his percentage of child support should equal a childs' quality of living in both environments.

It also helps to prevent a child for being spoiled in one environment and not in the other.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    Child support is about making a child's living equal in both parents' environment, it is capped at a certain percentage, but if one parent is making an exhorbant amount of money, paying his percentage of child support should equal a childs' quality of living in both environments.

It also helps to prevent a child for being spoiled in one environment and not in the other.
    This is only a theory. Child support does nothing of the sort to equal out the living environments of the 2 homes. Most child support is set to a punative level so to keep one side quite while the other side continues as if the relationship continued. The level of income between the custodial parent and the non custodial parent as a household doesn't equal in most cases where the ncp is making a decent wage. The only way to offset it is for the ncp to degrade their living style. Just take a look at the numbers.

Jul 19, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    In many states there is a ceiling on how high child support can be. In some there is no ceiling. It all depends on where you live. Irregaurdless the federal maximum for child support is 50%. The states are not allowed to go over that amount. The only offset is arrears and then the limit is 60% of gross or down to poverty line.
    This is what I read too, dad (only I couldn't find the section of Oregon law that specified). Maximum of 50% for current child support (or up to 55% for multiple orders) or 60% to pay off arrears (or 65% for multiple orders). If I find that section, I'll post as an edit.
    timothy friel Posts: 29, Reputation: -2

Jul 19, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WayTooMuch View Post
    Is there is cap or a ceiling to how much child support a noncustodial parent can pay?

I know all states has their formula to set child and medical supports, many times based on both parents' income. It is fair to say, the more a noncustodial parent makes, the more the custodial parent will get?

Example:

If a noncustodial parent is set to pay $1,750/month now for one child based on a $15,000/month income, then what happens when this same parent makes $30,000/month? I can't see how a one child general expenses (insurance, day care, food and shelter) can be in need of $3,500/month?!! Can we say a new car payment or shopping spree for the custodial parent?! There's got to be a ceiling right?!!
    Actually every state adopted the same formula and basics for family court effective July 2 1999, and yes there is a cap, your ex has to prove beond a reasonable doubt that the exspenses for the child warent an increase in support, and you have to prove that they don't just because your income or his income became higher does not mean the support will go up its all based on the income she and you make, its not just one person if both of your income is equal to the basic support to the child, the court will (NOT) increase the support previously orderd but you do have to modify your income with the court or face contept harison v. patricia Montana superme court 1989
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy friel View Post
    actualy every state adopted the same formula and basics for family court effective july 2 1999, and yes there is a cap, your ex has to prove beond a reasonable doubt that the exspenses for the child warent an increase in support, and you have to prove that they dont just because your income or his income became higher does not mean the support will go up its all based on the income she and you make, its not just one person if both of your income is equal to the basic support to the child, the court will (NOT) increase the support previously orderd but you do have to modify your income with the court or face contept harison v. patricia montana superme court 1989

I have read Harison vs Montana (which you posted) and I do not read it the same way you read it. I also know that NJ has NO cap on support. I have not researched the other States.

Please explain the case as you interpret it.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 06:08 AM

This is all hypothetical, of course, since anyone even approaching the dollar cap of support can easily afford to have a lawyer answer this question instead of coming on the internet to ask.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy friel View Post
    actualy every state adopted the same formula and basics for family court effective july 2 1999, and yes there is a cap, your ex has to prove beond a reasonable doubt that the exspenses for the child warent an increase in support, and you have to prove that they dont just because your income or his income became higher does not mean the support will go up its all based on the income she and you make, its not just one person if both of your income is equal to the basic support to the child, the court will (NOT) increase the support previously orderd but you do have to modify your income with the court or face contept harison v. patricia montana superme court 1989
    This isn't even close to correct. Many states differ from each other as to how child support is calculated. In some its by simple percentage while in others there is a formula to follow. Each state has the right to set its own policy until it exceeds federal maximums set by law. That's the whole point of the supporting laws.. to prevent " state " shopping when going for child support.

Where is this coming from??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    This isnt even close to correct. Many states differ from eachother as to how child support is calculated. In some its by simple percentage while in others there is a formula to follow. Each state has the right to set its own policy until it exceeds federal maximums set by law. Thats the whole point of the supporting laws .. to prevent " state " shopping when going for child support.

Where is this coming from ?????????

Read some of the other posts when you get a chance - I certainly don't read this the way this person does and am still waiting for his interpretation.

In the meantime I also have no idea what he's talking about.

Jul 20, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    This is all hypothetical, of course, since anyone even approaching the dollar cap of support can easily afford to have a lawyer answer this question instead of coming on the internet to ask.
    Agrees... to a point. Each situation is different but if I were assessed 50% (this would most likely mean I was supporting several children; not just one), I would be below the national poverty level.

At any rate - many lawyers offer consults for free or for a reduced rate.

Jul 20, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Take a look at Louisiana's calculations, according to their formula (combined parent's MONTHLY gross income levels)...

DAMN, one child can be as much as $2,653 if the combined monthly income is $30,000!

Child Support Schedule - Above $20k AGI | Department of Social Services | State of Louisiana
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 04:13 PM

Considering that up until 2 years ago, I didn't make $30k a YEAR, much less in a month... I'm not that sympathetic.

If you make that much, and you have a kid, then either pony up to make sure that kid has the best life that you can help provide---or go back to court and get custody.

Why SHOULD there be a cap? That would mean that if Bill and Melinda split, he'd only have to give up to that cap in child support for 3 kids, rather than the unlimited (pretty much) money that they're used to.

And even if a kid were NOT used to a certain level of living---what kind of parent doesn't want to give money to support their child?

Jul 20, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Considering that up until 2 years ago, I didn't make $30k a YEAR, much less in a month....I'm not that sympathetic.

If you make that much, and you have a kid, then either pony up to make sure that kid has the best life that you can help provide---or go back to court and get custody.

Oh lets not be too naive here, when someone is receiving $3,000/month for support to one child, do you really think all that money is used for child expenses by the CP? Ahhh, I don't think so!

Why SHOULD there be a cap? That would mean that if Bill and Melinda split, he'd only have to give up to that cap in child support for 3 kids, rather than the unlimited (pretty much) money that they're used to.

We're talking about if situation only applies to one child here.....if the NCP continues to make lots of $$, isn't ridiculous to continue to increase that one child's support to infinity? Of course, it's unreasonable! There's got to be a point where after the NCP makes X-amount, the CP can only get certain amount (i.e. $3500/month for one child is max no matter how much the NCP makes after certain income level).

And even if a kid were NOT used to a certain level of living---what kind of parent doesn't want to give money to support their child?

I'll tell you what kind of parent doesn't want to give money to support their child, the kind that wants nothing to do with the child because the CP f-ed it up! There are many circumstances where the NCP wants nothing to do with the child.
    Whether anyone likes a ceiling to support or not, every state differs in their calculations. It is what it is. Whether one likes it or not, once the support is order, got to do what it says.

You're absolutely right, if one a child and their CP is receiving >$1,500/month from the NCP, the only thing that the NCP can do is to make more $$ to make that support payment small!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I shop for to get ceiling light on cathedral ceiling straight down? [ 11 Answers ]

I have a cathedral ceiling in a modualr home. Cheap ceiling fixtures I want to replace. Primarily, I dislike how the fixture is angled onto the cathedral ceiling. Are there fixtures that mount with the base onto the cathedral ceiling angle but then the part that hold the lightbulb can pivot so that...

Installing Ceiling Fan - where do I attach the pink wire from ceiling? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchases a Hampton Bay Windward II ceiling fan. From my ceiling is a white, black, bare (ground), and pink wire. The fan has white, black, and green (ground). I tried capping the pink and connecting white to white and black to black and nothing works. Please help me with the...

Ceiling light on makes ceiling fan turn off [ 6 Answers ]

I installed 2 ceiling fans yesterday in two separate and am having the same problem with both. Before I removed the old fans I disconnected 1 wire at a time from the ceiling to see what stopped working. So I think one wire is the neutral and made both light and fan stop working, 1 wire was for...

Ceiling Fan-One switch, ceiling, 3 white, 3 black, red [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan I am replacing. There is one wall switch. In the ceiling there is 3 black wires connected together, 3 white together and a red. I didn't notice any other wires and evidently, wrongly assumed the red was a ground. I connected the fan black and blue to the ceiling black and...

Water mark with mold on ceiling of 1st floor ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've just noticed a fairly large water mark with mold in the center located on the ceiling of a downstairs closet - I believe the closet sits below an upstairs shower. I'm a new home owner and would appreciate your advice on what sort of questions I need to ask a plumber to resolve...

View more questions Search