Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collin14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 05:37 AM
    Being sued over credit card debt
    I have been notified I am being sued for credit card debt. It is a low firn presenting Citicard. I have answered interrogatories to the law firm and the court. Then last
    Week I received another letter from the same law firm but the co they were representing
    Was a different co and not interrogatories anymore. Can they still go forward with this law
    Suit even with a another company they are representing?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 06:14 AM

Are you saying the same law firm is representing Citicard and a second creditor and both Citicard and the other creditor are pursuing you for payment?

If so, yes, they can open a different law suit for every debt you owe. A law firm is not limited to one law suit per customer.

OR are you saying that it's the same debt being pursued by a different company/law firm?
    collin14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 06:26 AM
    It is the same debt it just appears to be sold to a different co and the same law firm is
    No representing this other co
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 06:30 AM

If there is an "open" lawsuit on the debt a new lawsuit cannot be started by another company.

Send a letter to the Court advising that there are two lawsuits on the same debt.
    WayTooMuch Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by collin14 View Post
    I have been notified I am being sued for credit card debt. It is a low firn presenting Citicard. I have answered interrogatories to the law firm and the court. Then last
    week I received another letter from the same law firm but the co they were representing
    was a different co and not interrogatories anymore. Can they still go forward with this law
    suit even with a another company they are representing?
    Quick question for you, how long was this account had been charged off (months, years)? Are you out of the Statue of Limitation period in your state?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2009, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WayTooMuch View Post
    Quick question for you, how long was this account had been charged off (months, years)? Are you out of the Statue of Limitation period in your state?
    The amount of time since chargeoff has nothing to do with a suit. The SOL is generally based on the last activity on the account.

SOL does not remove the obligation to pay, only the ability of the creditor to use legal means to collect it.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 04:51 PM

This is relatively immaterial - they can still attempt to collect. Statute is a defense to a lawsuit.
    WayTooMuch Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The amount of time since chargeoff has nothing to do with a suit.
    Correct, but I like to know how long it took the creditors to file a suit after a period of attempt to collect. I'm assuming the debt had been charged off already and then months or even years had gone by until the summon came.

Again, how long since the charge off did the original poster was served with papers?

Also, if the SOL has expired, then the original poster wouldn't need to worry about a thing now would they? Creditors can "attempt to collect" all they want, but it won't hold up in court so no worries (except for your credit scores).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Correct, but I like to know how long it took the creditors to file a suit after a period of attempt to collect. I'm assuming the debt had been charged off already and then months or even years had gone by until the summon came.

Again, how long since the charge off did the original poster was served with papers?

Also, if the SOL has expired, then the original poster wouldn't need to worry about a thing now would they? Creditors can "attempt to collect" all they want, but it won't hold up in court so no worries (except for your credit scores).

As Judy said the issue of the chargeoff is totally immaterial. Different circumstances may dictate a suit sooner or later. There is no correlation and it has no bearing.

And the SOL having expired does not leave the debtor with no worries. The debt still exists and the creditor can continue to dun and try to collect. A debt is both legally and morally binding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Being sued for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have got it set up to stop direct deposit of my ssd check starting in March.That means my February chech will go to my bank account. The deadline on papers is feb 8th.(I was served another one from a different credit card last night)How long after that can the creditors get a judgement? Should I...

What do I do.I'm being sued for credit card debt! [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued by my credit card company for an outstanding debt. The problem is that my ex-boyfriend refuses to pay for his part. The card was under myself but he had a card with his name on it. Now I'm being sued and they want the full amount which I do not have. What do I need to do and is...

View more questions Search