Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nuke1096 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Throbbing After Having Crown Placed Back On.
    Hello.

Back in march I had to have a root canal done on my back two teeth on the lower left side of my mouth. I believe those are my molars. Naturally I had to have crowns put on each of them then. Everything was fine and I never had any issues with them until just before Xmas my very back one popped out while eating some candy.

Seeing as how it was just before Xmas over a weekend, I had to wait 4-5 days for my dentist to open back up and get it put back on. When I eventually went and got it put back on it was very soar, which I felt was just normal procedure that would go away in a few hours. Unfortunately it didn't go away and just got worse and worse over the course of the next day, which by then was the weekend again and I had to wait until yesterday to go back to the dentist.

When I went back in, the dentist said my tooth probably moved and my bite was too high/low. She ended up filing it down some and adjusting the bite before sending me on my way. However, before leaving she subscribed Penicillin V for me, even though she never said it was infected, in addition to some Ibuprofen 800mg. As of now I'm still in pain and waiting, hopefully for the Penicillin to kick in.

I find it very curious though that my dentist didn't mention an infection but subscribed Penicillin anyway. Do you think I really have an infection? Do you think its just the placement of the crown still? Should I go back to my dentist again and have them look at it?

Any help would be appreciated.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Did your dentist take an x-ray? She wouldn't know for sure if it was infected without one. I wouldn't be taking penicillin unless you know for sure it's infected. The ibuprofen is a good choice to help with pain and inflammation. If there is no infection, the penicillin won't help.
    Nuke1096 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Yes they did take an x-ray, however, they never specifically said it was infected. They just subscribed the penicillin.

The pain has subsided a bit today however, but its still there, so maybe the penicillin is working?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 08:23 PM
    It could be the penicillin OR the ibuprofen working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain under crown [ 7 Answers ]

About 6 months ago I had a root canal and crown put on. About a week ago that tooth started getting sore. What is the problem?

Throbbing Kidneys [ 5 Answers ]

Hi.. my kidneys have been throbbing daily on and off for the past 6 months. All blood tests and urine tests come out normal. Last year I had an ultrasound for my gallbladder but they also did my kidneys and all was fine.. 2 months later, my gallbladder had to be taken out. I don't trust the MRI...

Throbbing sensation around the kidney area lower back [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys, does anyone know what may be the cure or cause or what is my situation. I have a throbbing sensation in my lower back region. It is not severe but it is a feeling like blood is pumping the same as my heartbeat into the area. More prominent at night. Thank You... :confused:

Crown vs. Post crown [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with a dental office I recently began visiting. Two dentists are at the site (one is retiring) and one recommends one thing, then when I sit in the chair to get the work done the other dentist comes in and recommends something completely different. I am going to...

Crown molding [ 3 Answers ]

Question 1 What type of nails do I use for the real wood crown molding? Question 2 How do I measure the angle, in degrees, of my ceiling? It is something other than 90 or 45? I was hoping to use something simpler than Trig functions.

View more questions Search