Ask
    Sean sanderson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 07:40 PM
    Crown molding
    I need help to cope a inside 45 on crown molding
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2005, 08:07 PM
    Practice on a scrap piece. Trace the pattern on the back as usual. Then set a jig saw to 45 degrees and cut it, and see how it looks.
    miketlive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 08:54 PM
    Google is your friend. Found this
    this old house article

There are easy ways that involve turning the molding upside-down and treating the fence and base as if they were wall and ceiling.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 26, 2005, 09:25 PM
    The first piece of crown goes square into the corner. The second is inside mitered at 45 degrees. If you visualize the fence as the wall and the table of the miter box as the ceiling, place the crown in the miter box just like it gets installed. ("In-postion" cutting) You may have to put the piece of crown "upisde down" in the miter box so you get the proper miter for coping. Your going to cut the piece in a reverse 45. Just like if you were to miter your inside corners. You then cut the "waste" area the miter. Use a coping saw, its much eaisier than a jig saw. (unless you have a Collins coping foot) When you cope the miter, angle the coping saw almost at a 45 angle opposite the angle your coping (back cutting the miter). This makes your coping line sharp and eaiser to match against the profile of the other piece of crown. Hope this isn't too confusing. Depending on how new your miterbox is, do you have a compound miter saw? The saw goes right & left but also the blade tilts? If so, you should have set indentations on the saw for crown moulding cuts on the "flat". That's another lesson.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Dec 28, 2005, 06:23 AM
    Crown Moulding Corner Blocks
    I have installed a lot of crown moulding in my house. It is a cheap way to add a touch of elegance.

When possible, I try and use corner blocks as I a have a hard time getting a coped joint to fit. The tips from the other guys are wonderful and I will use them the next time I do a coped joint.

And, remember, caulk is a carpenters and painters best friend.

Good Luck, Dan
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 20, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Carpenters Don't Caulk, Painter Do. Lol.
    The First Piece Is Cut Square To Square The Second Piece Will Be A Long Point To Square, If You Left Handed You Need Work To The Left Side Of The Room , If Your Right Do The Other Way, Reason Being This Will Alow You To Cope With Your Good Hand, I Want Explain The Actually Coping Since It Has Been Done. Good Luck Nichols Trim
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 20, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Thanks for people who are trying to help by posting an answer to the question.

I hope that people posting an answer to this have noticed the date on the original post.

I would think that the original poster has probably already found an answer to their question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown molding [ 16 Answers ]

I need help installing crown molding. Is it necessary to use adhesive as well as nails?

Crown lengthening necessary? [ 23 Answers ]

I had a root canal on Fri and went back to the dentist on Mon for a temp crown and fitting for a permanent crown. The dentist took out the temp crown that the endodontist had used and grinded away most of my tooth. After that, she drew me a diagram, told me that I needed a crown lengthening and...

Crown molding [ 3 Answers ]

Question 1 What type of nails do I use for the real wood crown molding? Question 2 How do I measure the angle, in degrees, of my ceiling? It is something other than 90 or 45? I was hoping to use something simpler than Trig functions.

Tough molding cut [ 2 Answers ]

Maybe this is possible? Trying to run molding horizontal along the top of tile above a shower surround and match it with a piece running vertical along each side of the shower. These are 90 degrees from each other on each plane - any trim carpenters out there that can help me with these cuts? Don't...

Pain under a crown [ 3 Answers ]

I have a long established crown It has started to give pain The dentist says there may be a cracked tooth underneath With an infection He also says I would lose the tooth if he took off the crown Is there anything I can take to deal with a possible infection?

View more questions Search