Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Sep 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Recent fillings hurting
    I recently went to the dentist after putting it off forever. The dentist replaced two old fillings and did two partial fillings. Every single tooth is now killing me. Anything sweet, cold, hot and hard hurts now. I have been back to the dentist 3 times and haven't had any luck getting them better. He did say that it might be my gums, but it feels more like the center of my tooth with most of the pain. Any ideas?
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Sep 4, 2007, 07:41 PM
    If he had to do any drilling before filling the tooth, it could just be that it has aggravated the nerve. If this is the case, it should get better over time. Depending on the type of filling, there is also the possibility that the fillings are not seated properly and food particles are leaking into your tooth. Sometimes this problem can fix itself, other times the filling needs to be reworked. If you are that concerned about it, you should get a second opinion. Hope that helps.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 05:32 PM
    If the fillings were deep it could take a few weeks for the teeth to settle down. Sensitivity to hot, cold or biting could mean that the fillings are "high" and need to be adjusted (bite needs to be checked). Usually sweet sensitivity indicates decay or perhaps root exposure.
    When you bite your teeth together slowly does your bite feel even or does one side touch before the other? If this is the case, an adjustment is needed... easy fix!
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Sep 5, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Yah, they are right on - if the fillings are too high, then they will continue to bruise the bone tissue holding the tooth in as well as giving the nerves bloody hell. Eventually, the teeth will move to accommodate each other if this is the case. I suggest you start doing the Ibuprofen/Advil max dosage for your age and body weight to help with the inflammation and pain AND get yourself one of those football mouthguards - it's a generic plastic bite guard that will prevent you from grinding your teeth and absorb pressure from misaligned teeth - sounds trivial but feels better than a Nestea plunge on a hot steamy summer's day.

The other thing you can do is buy some Anbesol or some other benzocaine tooth gel and put that around the affected teeth - it tastes a bit nasty on the front end but the relief is like waving bye-bye to your nasty mother-in-law as she drives away at the end of her visit...

Please to rate this answer - with 15 good comments, I am automagically entered into 'The Greatest Car Washes of El Paso TX Tour of 2007.' While it may not sound so fun, you should see the groupies!
    florence021071 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2007, 10:45 PM
    You need to go back to your dentist and explain to him/her about your teeth it could be that you have sensitive teeth and can use sensitive tooth past it might be something as easy as that. Or another thing could be that you need to floss more and get a good cleaning.
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Oct 8, 2007, 08:13 PM
    I travel a lot so it's hard to get in there... I've actually been three times since they replaced them. I had four replaced... one on each side top and bottom. I'm going later this week to a different dentist to have them look at them. I'm so miserable, they got a bit better but then back to super sensitive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recent Miscarriage [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a miscarriage and did not receive a dnc. I want to know if it's normal to still be bleeding very heavy and passing blood clots after 6 days. How much bleeding is too much?

Recent breakup [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 10 years (we met in college)broke up with me 1.5month ago. I am about to complete my professional training program and we were set to move to a different state for a new job (for me and potential opportunity for him, since he has not had much success in the job/career department),...

A recent Break up. [ 14 Answers ]

I recently broke up with my boyfriend because he lied to me and did stuff behind my back. Some people are telling me things.. And he's telling me different things. I don't know what to believe.. But all I know is that I love him so much and I know he loves me. I want him to admit to me that he did...

Fillings [ 1 Answers ]

Does amalga fillings last for a life time?? :rolleyes:

Recent Dilema [ 1 Answers ]

All right, I've already made my choice on this, but I want to know what you guys think. My girlfriend and I have been going out for six months now. Prior to that I've like her for a couple years, but she or I had always been with someone else. I lost my virginity to this girl. Recently I had...

View more questions Search