Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pede Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Why am I so afraid?
    A few months ago I visited a site where a large historic ship was docked. I have been on ships several times, for cruises, and never had any issues,however just looking at this one ship frightened me to the point I could not look at it.

Today, I was walking my dog, and a large CAT construction machine was parked in the dirt. The machine was not running, nobody was around the machine. I became so frightened of it that I turned around and ran the other way.

Could this be from some bad experience in a previous life?
    Could I just be developing stupid phobias at almost 50 yrs. Old?

Thanks for any and all advice!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Pede, has anyone that you know passed away in the past few years? Have you been diagnosed with some disorder that is age related? Are you not feeling as well as you have in the past?

Sometimes, as we age, we start become more aware of, and worrying about, our mortality. The fact that these two pieces of equipment are very large and heavy can be a bit intimidating. Even though neither was moving, it could be that you are suddenly very aware (consciously or unconsciously) that if they were moving they could kill you. We don't think about that kind of stuff when we are younger. We feel invincible and that we are going to live forever. Nothing is a threat. But, as we age, suddenly the things we don't normally take notice of can suddenly become hazards to our conscious/unconscious minds.
    renter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 03:44 PM
    The cause of this is for you to determine but the solution is in sight. It is psychologically proven that the best way to overcome phobias is to face them. Next time you feel like running away or that rush of adrenaline, take a minute to think logically and go forward with what you were doing. Once you pass that mark then your brain and body will know that these things will not harm you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Afraid I can't get pregnant [ 56 Answers ]

I have been trying to get pregnant only 3 months and no luck yet. But for some reason I'm starting to get scared that I can't get pregnant. Is that crazy? How long did it take you to get pregnant with your first child?

Afraid of getting pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

I am 57 and my periods stopped around 7 years ago but I'm still afraid of getting pregnant and so I take good care during intercourse. My question is if there is any chance of getting pregnant doing the full intercourse. Thanks

I'm afraid of going crazy [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 17 and I've already been dianosed bipolar, but I'm afraid that there is something else wrong with me. Only my family knows about it. Are these feelings normal? I'm starting college next fall and I'm afraid that I'll go crazy there. I can't sleep with out a really loud fan. At sleep overs I...

Afraid to be a friend. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a best friend who I would honestly do anything for,anytime, anywhere. She means so much to me. I have learned in the past that I have said things or blogged about issues I shouldn't have which related to her. We almost had a falling out over a guy. This has actually happened a couple of...

Male afraid of what's to come. [ 7 Answers ]

In April, I'll have been with my girlfriend for almost two years. In the last month things have gone horribly wrong, and I'm afraid. I'll try to start at the beginning, please bear with me. My girlfriend and I met in high school, she had a crush on me I had never had a girlfriend before, so...

View more questions Search