Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morning132 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Scaling and Root Planing
    When I went to have crown work done, a temporary dental hygenist stated that I needed to deep cleaning. So, I went today and was told the new dental hygenist would be doing scaling and root planing. I expected it to be more than just a cleaning. I was there for about an hour, but much of the time just talking with the hygenist. She scraped some tartar off my teeth which she said easily came off. Then, she put three applications of some type of antibiotic supposedly in my gums. But, I just can't believe this was really anything more than a regular cleaning. In fact, I have had a much more thorough cleaning in the past. There was no pain and she didn't seem to do anything near the gums.

Is it normal that there would be absolutely no pain and I wouldn't feel anything around the gums?

Perhaps I am being too distrusting, but I am beginning to wonder. I had even previously asked the dentist why I would need a deep cleaning. I have never had a cavity or any other problems. I know that you have have gum disease and not know it. But, I am just wondering if this is a way for the dentist to get more money out of the insurance company.

I am suppose to have the left quadrant done next week. They said that it would be necessary to do it in two visits so that it wouldn't be so painful on both sides of my mouth. What pain?? I can't tell I had anything done at all.

Your input would be appreciated.

Feb 5, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Thank you. I really became suspicious when my son-in-law had the same thing done today and they had to numb his entire mouth. The hygenist said that I just had a few pockets and it was a good thing they caught it before it progressed. She said that by doing the root planing and scaling now and using the antibiotics, it wouldn't get worse. My insurance pays 100% for cleaning, but I was charged $179.00 and will be charged another $179.00 again next week.

What can I do? I don't know how I can prove that they did not do the scaling and planing.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 04:38 AM
    Speaking as a dental hygienist, scaling and root planing is recommended for patients who have a lot of bleeding and periodontal pockets that are deeper than 4mm. Depending on the depth of the pockets and the patients pain tolerance freezing is usually recommended.

Did the hygienist do a full mouth "probing" where she took measurements around ALL of your teeth (usually 10 readings per molar and 6 on all other teeth)? Nothing can be diagnosed or recommended without that being done first. She should have recorded all numbers (or at least those that are 4mm or greater) on a chart.

Irrigation is helpful for pockets that are deeper than 4mm.

Pain does not necessarily have to accompany a thorough dental cleaning. A lot of it depends on the hygienists' training, technique and experience.

If you are concerned about the treatment your hygienist recommended speak to your dentist and ask him why this was recommended now. There should be past periododontal charts in your file for comparison if you've been a patient there for some time. This charting is usually a legal document and is needed by all adults who see hygienists for any dental cleaning.

Feb 6, 2008, 07:16 PM
    A very young temporary hygenist who was there the first time I visited this dentist did the probing. When I asked why she was no longer there, the dental assistant said that the temporary I saw was an assistant to a dental hygenist who was out on temporary leave. And, when the dental hygenist on temporary leave decided not to return, the assistant had to leave.

But, then when they wanted to schedule this scaling and root planing and I questioned it and mentioned that the hygenist who did the probing was an assistant, the dental assistant then said she was a hygenist. I don't know what to believe.

A different temporary did the actual scaling and root planing. I have never had any bleeding nor was there bleeding at the time this was done.

I did talk to the dentist about it and he just said it was a preventative measure.

The dentist never came in when the scaling and root planing was done. He didn't check anything. I assume he just went by what the young hygenist said. I would assume they could put just about anything down on the chart.

I just have my doubts that I actually need the scaling and root planing and that it is actually being done. I am concerned because (1) I am out of pocket quite a bit of money because they chose to do this rather than clean and (2) my insurance only pays for part of this procedure once every 2 years. If it isn't being done and I need it within the next 2 years, I will have to pay 100%.

Thanks for your post and any additional info. You can provide is appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 08:16 PM
    My experience says it can be gentle or aggressive. Aggressive hurts. Gentle feels just like a regular cleaning. Peridontal cleaning is deeper.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 04:24 AM
    When you go to have your teeth cleaned on a regular basis the hygienist should remove all tartar whether it is above OR below the gumline. Periodontal cleaning is usually done when there are areas that are not improving.

If you are concerned as to whether you really need the periodontal cleaning I'd suggest you make an appointment with another dentist to have a periodontal evaluation done. You may have to pay for this out of pocket depending on how many exams your insurance allows per year but it will put your mind at ease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planing to start business [ 3 Answers ]

HI This is Naresh DM, presently I am working in BPO now I just want to do a business. Could u help me. I just want to make a good carier in business field :)

Planing to make an antisuicide group. [ 4 Answers ]

There is a post before about a boy I know that committed suicide just over a week ago. If you read the comments you'll see I've been planning to make an antisuicide group (mostly for teens and people my own age) because I hate knowing that may people are taking there lives everyday, and I want to...

Tree root [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently removed a bradford pear tree, and now have a problem with new growth coming up in my lawn from the root of the removed tree. The tree was about 11 years old. How do I stop this root growth?

Root Canal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a root canaled tooth, #11, that is bothering me. I have had it for over 6 years. I got it xrayed and it showed that the post had fractured the tooth above the gumline. I was not given a choice of options on this, only to extract it. I don't want to do this. I know it can be saved somehow....

View more questions Search