Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ltibo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 10:19 PM
    Caps for young kids, how common is this?
    Our son has been told that he needs caps on 4 out of his 8 molars and possibly filings or caps on the other 4. First, how common is this in young kids (our son is 4.5)? Our son brushes twice a day, we help him at night and floss at night. The Pediatric Dentist assured me that his is not a lack of dental hygene, it is because our son has paper thin enamal and the tops of molars are tight against each other, while leaving space between the gums and the tops... Please, is this invasive procedure 'normal' or should I look for another opinion? Our son has an appointment to go under general anestetic, but I am anxious about all this. Please let me know all that you can. Blessings!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 07:09 AM

It is good that you took him to the dentist at 4 1/2, that way he gets used to the procedures, gets to see what the chair looks like with accountrements, etc.

Bear in mind he will lose these teeth anyway, thin enamel or not. What you have to be concerned about is the adult teeth coming in properly.

I would get a second opinion if I were you, and even then a third opinion and weigh all of your options. I know you want to do the best thing by him, but the best thing may not be caps at all. The problem is, as those teeth decay, and they will with thin enamel, the gums may suffer as well, keep that in mind.

Tick
    verrob Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2011, 01:54 PM

HELLO
    I would go for a 2nd opinion, and if they say the same thing, I would definitely do the crowns on the baby teeth. Your child is only 4.5 yrs old, he will have these teeth for some years yet. And DDS have different reasons for doing crowns on baby teeth. One is if they are prone to decay, once you put a crown on the tooth, you have repaired it until its ready to come out. Another reason is, you only submit your child once to repair, instead of going back for a filling on one location, and then a filling on the same tooth, but a second location and so on.
    I hope this helps you out, and good luck.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2011, 05:55 AM
    Remember that even though a tooth has a crown on it decay can still develop under the crown.

I agree with tick... get a second opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful young adult kids [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 daughters, 18 and 23. We have lots of issues at home. My oldest has been on antidepressant medication for 2 years and recently she got off it. She is angry and she just flips out pretty often. This makes it very hard for me and my youngest to deal with. The sisters fight a lot and often I...

Kids movie - 4 young boys go away on a camping trip... [ 1 Answers ]

Movie that has 4 young boys go away on a camping trip, there is a scene were they talk about another friend that died... there's a scene with the 5 young boys signing at a talent show... this is a kids movie released in the 90s, I believe there was a part 2 of the movie also...

Dinosaur cartoon for young kids [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so I remember watching these movies around 1993-95 but they could have been older, not new releases. Anyway, they were animated dinosaurs. Not the land before time movies. I thought I remembered James Earl Jones's voice and the DiC label but am not sure. I also remember watching He-man, so I...

Helping my young kids [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 kids, from different fathers,5.5yr old lives with her dad,3.5 girl and 2.5 boy,1.5 girl, I have custudy of these 3 kids.Recenly I was dianose with a brain tumor and some other stuff.I asked there dad to help me with the kids and he agreed to do so.Few months later he is trying to get...

View more questions Search