Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rapteen15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Rap lyrics
    Can anyone help me out? I want to write rap lyrics, but I can't get them to look right on paper
    yaleoxford2nd Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 09:30 PM
    Can you free style? If so combine your raps together and there you go
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 01:07 AM
    From the following site: How to Write a Rap Song - wikiHow

How to Write a Rap Song
    This article will show you how to create the standard rap song and how to add your own style to it. Start with the fundamentals, then shape your creation into a masterpiece.

Steps. Create a low tone (Bass Synth, etc). The bass line should be in the same key as the melody so that there are no 'sour notes' and the beat is easy to listen to. The bass line should not be as lengthened as the melody line but should work with it and fit together.

Structure the song. A popular song structure would be: Intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus, middle 8 (AKA breakdown), chorus, outro. The intro usually consists of all the parts playing, the verse would be just the bass and the drum beat, then the chorus should be all parts playing, the middle 8 (breakdown) should be anything of your choice but must distinguish itself from the rest of the song and the outro is simply the beat just playing on until the song ends.

Write lyrics. Rap about anything but remember to write to the beat and make sure that your 'flow' is not whack! Just make sure that the lyrics match or just associate with the name of the song. Put your heart into it, be in love with the song when recording it or writing it. Just keep talking and babbling.

Listen to your inner rapper to figure out what works best. If you are not sure what to say, remember that is the point, getting beyond your mind/memory. Make up sounds and let new language emerge. Try focusing on famous musical artists you respect/love ones/Jah/your heart and see if that affects what comes out. Focus on rhythm and feeling... Let go, flow and appreciate...

Tips. The hook should be something infectious and catchy. The hook is basically the catchy punchline in every chorus. Like most of those songs listed, listen to the way the artist works with the beat to create a hook and do the same with your beat.

Add flavor to the beats by including drum fills (e.g. before chorus or verse, add additional bass and melody lines and make the song shine).

When creating a bass line: the bass could play a note on every kick of the drum beat.
    A hi-hat can be good, because it keeps the song flowing and keeps the pace, but it's optional.

If you don't have access to studio equipment, the following cheap packages can help with your quest: Fruity Loops, MTV Music Generator, and Hip Hop Ejay.

Warnings Don't rap about personal things that are not true. While some people might take a "I can rap about anything I want to!"-attitude, it's best to really look at things before just spitting out false trash. Trying to beef up your image without doing the "work" is almost universally known as posing.

Also keep in mind that just because popular rappers write about that stuff, doesn't make your raps any more or less "rap" by writing or not writing about similar things. Remember that creativity and vision are often valued more by fans than image alone.
    Don't listen to experts, listen to your heart...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 01:14 AM
    Also from the same site above, but more concerning lyrics. How to Write Rap Lyrics - wikiHow

How to Write Rap Lyrics

So, you want to be a rapper? Before you can write a rap song, you need to know how to do the lyrics. You can't just rhyme one word with another. Here are some tips to help you get started.

Steps Think of a subject to help start your rap, for example the police, what you see, etc. Example: "da police i see you ima ridin round, in mi escalade you know im drivin round, and round. ok so lets go. police pull me over and i hit go let go they go cause i aint go money ill be back soon. with lots of cash man this is my tune."

Make sure the intro to your verse is strong. Set yourself up for a good rhyme scheme.

Man its strong palm down punch them get them ima strong man. Woman you too but you neva heard woman put it down like this 'for

Create a good rhyme scheme; you don't always need one but it helps. It helps the flow sound more enjoyable, example: 50 cent has a bounce flow, up and down, whereas Jay-Z goes side to side. This is important if you're making hits.

Notice that most rappers use multi-rhymes(example: Kill For, Still Roll). Put these at the end line after each bar and see how how hot your raps turn out. Count the syllables.

Let some of your friends read it and get their opinions, and if they have any suggestions write them down (get at least three friends opinions). When you get back to your writing area, redo the song with the suggestions from your friends and then go over it and make sure that the changes keep the flow.

Tips. Write the hook or chorus in a way that makes the listener really want to hear more of the song, but make sure the hook goes with the verses.

Just like you can be a good songwriter, but a poor singer, there is no shame if you can't rap the greatest lyrics you wrote. Get someone who can rap to test it out.

Deciding the title isn't really that big of a deal, but try to make it something out of the chorus.

Make sure to take your time on the song.

If you want you can even have your friends in your song to have more variety of lyrics.

Get a good book on writing lyrics, get some ideas from those.

Be real - rapping about your own life gives the song credibility.

Usually rap songs have at least two to three verses, but as long as your song makes the point you're trying to convey and is, in your opinion, good, length doesn't really matter.

If you ever have songwriters' block, listening to a couple of rap tunes can help give you fresh ideas.

Warnings. You can make up things in your lyrics, but make sure they don't single out any one specific person or group of persons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to become a rap star! [ 10 Answers ]

I want to become a great rap star, I already have my songs, then what should I do?:confused:

Rap [ 55 Answers ]

Hello: I wrote the following rap lyrics for your voice mail. Do you think I can make it as a rap star? Yes, I'm white and old but... Hello evabody, I'm sorry I'm not at home, But you can leave a message at the sound of the tone, Ya don't have to worry about what I'm going to do, Cause...

Another rap I wrote [ 1 Answers ]

My mind is starting to clear like a fogged up mirror, Trying to steer my life in the right gear, So stay clear for death and love is all I fear, My mind is racing, my body pacing, My soul needs saving, tough decisions are what I'm facing, Craving for my life to be released from satan, I'm...

Rap Lyrics [ 8 Answers ]

This isn't perfect but I recently had a lot of spare time on my hands for reasons I'm not going to talk about and I got bored and started writing. I'm just going to put up some of the lyrics I wrote, it be great if you guys/gals can tell me what you think. Only 16 years old but my lifes in...

View more questions Search