Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlanou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Pre-Teen Daughter does not want to talk to me on the phone
    I have a pre-teen daughter (10) who lives with my ex. My birthday was on Monday, and my ex usually reminds her to call me. It's the only gift I get from my daughter each year. My ex had a busy day on Monday and forgot to remind her. Since Monday, my ex says that she has been reminding her to call me, but her response to my ex is that she doesn't really want to. My ex won't force her (and I understand that). Am I losing touch with my daughter? Is there anything that I can do? We live about 3,000 miles apart and I don't get to see her very often. :(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Sadly it is very likely and as they get into the teens with new lives of their own, you lose touch often living in the same house with them.

Assuming all 10 year olds are on the internet, try and email her some, and see if you can get a few responses there, keeping some contract, or at least let her know you are trying is very important as often in latter years they regret and try to contact again
    And again she may just be busy and forgetting, kids are like that also
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Sounds like you should be calling her, regularly. Are you calling her on birthdays and special events? Sending birthday and Christmas gifts? If the answer is no to any of these questions you may be causing the emotional distance. It is not too late to rebuild the trust and communication so start today.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
    She probably feels very badly that she forgot and is embarrassed. She may be afraid that you won't forgive her, or tell her you were hurt and ask why she forgot.

It is hard to figure out what is going on in anyone's head. My suggestion would be for you to call her and tell her you miss her, and if she tells you that she is sorry she forgot your birthday, tell her it is okay and you still love her. If she doesn't bring up your birthday in the conversation, you shouldn't bring it up. Since you are so far away and cannot have the normal contact you wish you could, avoid any negativity. Always be positive and encouraging. Although you are hurt, she is only 10 after all. The good thing in all of this is that it sounds like you have a decent relationship with your ex. That will help tremendously.

In order to keep in touch with her and not lose that touch, you should set up a phone call schedule. Maybe something like, for example, every Sunday morning you call her to find out how her week went and just chat with her. Always tell her you love and miss her. I can guarantee if you do this you won't lose touch with her and she will know that you are always thinking about her and love her. You may also want to send her a card in the mail once a month. Just something that says you are thinking about her. She will cherish those things. And, I wouldn't be surprised if in ten years she shows you a whole drawerful of all the cards you sent. The things we do that seem small and trivial to us adults, are HUGE things to children and mean a lot more than we realize.

I hope this helped.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2007, 02:06 PM
    You are welcome jlanou. You sound like a good and caring father. Which means, sometimes we doubt ourselves when we do the best we can. It just shows you have compassion and intellect. I am glad we all could help ease your mind! :) Have a great time with your daughter in June.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My pre-teen daughter is very emotional--Help [ 5 Answers ]

I have a pre-teen daughter who is very emotional. She seems to explode and get so touchy. Tonight she is so upset and crying heavily downstairs because we had a conflict. She was on the computer doing some email stuff, fisnishing up. The only reason she had been on was to email some stuff to...

Pre-teen son with an attitude [ 6 Answers ]

My pre-teen son, age 12, already acts like a teenager. He is frequently disrespectful to me and more so to his stepdad (who has been there since he was 4 years old). Sometimes he acts like he doesn't love my husband, who loves and cares for us both. He smarts off a lot and answers our questions...

Daughter is Pre-Teen... Need Advice [ 50 Answers ]

I am a single mom and my daughter is 12 years old and is already "well developed". Everyone from the town I live in (small town of around 400 people) comment on how tall and womanly she looks! She has had her period for about 4 months now. She is talking about boys more and more and I know I am...

My 4-year-old daughter will not talk to me on the phone. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have been separated from my wife since Nov. 15th, 2005. I recently had custody of my daughter from May 25th to October 6, 2006. My daughter will not talk to me on the phone for more than 2 minutes (except on rare occasions) and it is really starting to get to me. I spent 10 days with...

Pre-Teen worn out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12-year old son who is an athlete (football, basketball, track, etc.). He is in great physical shape. We have noticed that if he goes for about three or four days, non-stop (practices and games combined), he gets stomach cramps and ends up having to miss a day of school. We know...

View more questions Search