Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unchme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Moving out, Lease Long Over, Security forfeiture?? (LA, CA)
    I've had an apartment in Venice, CA for over a year. It was a year lease, which changed to month-to-month after the lease expired. I've been here for 18 months. I called at the beginning of October to tell them I'd be gone by November 1st, which is the case.

My roommate, who is not on the lease (he just moved here), is looking to start a new lease with the landlord. I spoke to them today to inquire about my security deposit.

He told me that if my roommate signs a new lease that I will have to give a letter of forfeiture of the deposit and that the deposit will carry over to the new tenant. He told me that in order to receive my deposit, they will have to regain possession of the apartment.

It seems to me that should there be a new tenant - one that is not currently on the lease, that they have possession and give said possession to the new tenant, regardless of my relationship with the new tenant, and hence should be obligated to return my security deposit and ask the new tenant for a new deposit.

Am I wrong in this assumption?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 31, 2006, 08:40 AM
    Do what the landlord suggests OR do the forfeiture and get reimbursed from your roommate... if the property is not vacated, the deposit return is not an issue.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2006, 08:45 AM
    The landlord seems to be tacking the position that this is a lease transfer, not a new occupancy. And they have a point. If I were you I would get the deposit from the roommate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security deposit--Long Island, NY [ 1 Answers ]

At the end of August I had given a $850 security deposit for an apartment that I was moving into September 1st. A few days after I had given the deposit, the apartment flooded. The carpets where soaked and the water came in behind the kitchen cabinets. I was told that they had to fix everything...

Moving [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living in a friends house (watching over it since NOV 2005) after she moved permatnately back to FL. I have been paying the bills (phone,electric,water) since she left. I had been talking to her about buying the house right after she left and she told me that she would let me know....

Paid security deposit did not sign lease [ 7 Answers ]

I need to get accurate advice on my rights. I applied for an apartment and was accepted. The complex has a waiting list and I have had to wait for 2 months for the apartment to open up. I was required to give a $480 security deposit on receipt of the approval letter and have not yet signed the...

How do I stop a land contract forfeiture? [ 6 Answers ]

My family is going through some financial hardships and I'm pretty sure that the people we signed our land contract with are going to try to foreclose our home (forfeit our contract). We don't want to lose our home. We are 2 payments past due and trying to get help from the local churches and...

Moving on.. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! I was just wondering.. I had a very intense friendship/relationship with my best guy friend.. and because it got really complicated I asked him to choose.. friends or couple. He chose friends. How long do you suggest I wait before going into a new relationship? (I really got screwed up in...

View more questions Search