Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlginlove Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
    She married a dead man
    :eek:

My friend married a man who signed the license with the name and social security number of his deceased brother. He told her (after the fact) that he was trying to avoid a tax problem,:mad: Now she wonders what she needs to do if anything to correct the situation. :confused: They lived together about six years after the "marriage" and are now separated. Any advice?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2006, 10:45 PM
    Talk with a divorce attorney.
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Jun 23, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Hello dlginlove,

This is obviously a strange situation.

In my opinion it is very doubtful that the marriage is legal because the man literally stole the ID of his deceased brother.

Added to this he will probably find himself in serious trouble when this is discovered. One of the charges he is likely to find himself facing is fraud, because he assumed this ID in order to attempt to defraud the Government of the tax due.

Unfortunately, the woman he went through the marriage ceremony with could find herself in trouble if she does not report what has happened to the proper authorities, because she now knows what has happened and therefore is likely to be classed as an accessory.

My advice is that she should obtain legal advice immediately. This advice should be confidential because of client confidentiality.

If she lives in the UK she could contact her nearest Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). They are a free and highly confidential body and I am sure that any information given to them is also highly confidential and is not shared with outside bodies.

I am afraid I don't understand why your friend did not realize this had happened when they first got 'married' or how long she has been aware of this situation.

I would certainly like to know what the outcome of this.

Poseidon

Jun 24, 2006, 01:07 AM
    "am afraid I don't understand why your friend did not realize this had happened when they first got 'married' or how long she has been aware of this situation."

It is my understanding that she did realize this immediately and was quite upset. It certainly didn't help their relationship. I believe she didn't think she did anything wrong, he did. Thank-you both for the information.
    I will pass it on to her.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2006, 04:52 AM
    Hi,
    As another said, please tell your friend to talk with a Lawyer! If they are separated, the Lawyer will know what to do, legally. Such as, filing a Separation Agreement (if needed in their State), and what to do after that.
    It seems to me that anyone who would use a dead person's identity to get married, for whatever reason, is not the type of person to marry. After finding out, your friend made a good decision to separate. Best of luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 24, 2006, 06:49 AM
    I doubt if they have ever been legally married since the license is a forged instrument. So she needs to consult an attorney to determine her rights and liabilities.

Jun 24, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Fortunately, my friend was smart enough file taxes as unmarried and never held any properties, cars, business, etc. jointly with him. She even contacted the IRS on his behalf to work out a settlement. She just told me these things today. Her quandary is that she doesn't know if she needs to seek legal counsel. She really doesn't want to get him in trouble with the law.

Also, she doesn't have the money to get a lawyer right now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 01:16 PM
    He committed fraud on the marriage licence, at least in the US, they were never legally married. She needs an attorney, she has many rights to sue him for various things, including the fraud

Jun 25, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Thanks Fr. Chuck. She won't be suing him as he hasn't got a dime. She'll be glad to know she was never married.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Ken Lay really dead? [ 12 Answers ]

It seems funny to me that Ken Lay would just die prior to serving 25 years in prison. Do you think that with his money, he could pull of faking his own death? Would it be possible for anyone with enough money to do that?:confused: I can just see him, Elvis and Jim Morrison in a huge Log cabin in...

Seeing dead? [ 5 Answers ]

Hiya all, I'm quite new to this, I'm going through a pretty hard time at the moment, one of my Aunty's son's died at the weekend, I'm pretty close to her. I went to see her and behind her, at a glance, I saw this man standing behind her with his hand on her shoulder. When I got home I mentioned...

Dead in the Yard [ 4 Answers ]

How do I check to see if I am getting juice to the spark plug?

Battery goes dead [ 1 Answers ]

My battery goes dead over night when I leave the + wire on checked over all wires can't find anything the battery works fine in my other truck can leave it for a week no problems can't figure this one out

Car is flat/dead [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I fixed my car, but the question I want to know the answer to is; what actually makes or causes a car to be flat.dead ? When I say this, I mean when you turn the ignition it just makes an awful drone sound and just won't fire up. Thanks

View more questions Search